Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I butchered our Buff Orphington roo this morning. He started out nice, but became meaner over the past week. We purchased him as a young "pullet" chick this past spring. Big BEAUTIFUL bird. He was calm with me. I could pick him up and sit with him. He would eat out of my hand, but he attacked a guest last week, and has been suddenly nasty with the hens.

OK, mean roos are nothing new. The strange thing was, when I pulled out the organs, I found THREE testes.

???

There is a pic on another thread (sorry, can't remember which) of a bowl of testes which match what I found in him. I'm familiar with butchering, and am just about sure I have the correct organ. Two of the testes were attatched with a short thread of membrane. Otherwise, all were shaped properly. The rest of him looked fine.

I did a web search, but could find no information. Has anyone else seen an instance of this?

Thanks.
Distaff

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Not sure on the testes question, but I have a helpful hint.

With your next rooster, don't make him into a pet.
He is very comfortable with humans and feels that he can get close enough to attack.
If you keep him at a distance, toss treats and never cuddle, it helps with the attacking.

Now, you could just get a crazy rooster. It happens.
I've had one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Chickenista.

I always thought it would be better to tame them incase it was necessary to move them. Quick and easy if they are tame. When this roo attatcked the woman who was my guest, I just picked him up and held him. When she arrived a few days later (she helps me with my goats), I simply picked him up and shut him up in a pen.

The three hens who are not tame are occasionally a nuisance to deal with. The rest tend to be underfoot.

I've had sweet long-lived roos before, but they were always the pick of a mail order batch of straight run chicks. In those years, I butchered each roo as soon as he became mean, and was eventually left with one good guy.

With three testees, maybe this fellow just didn't have a chance.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Poly-orchidism (latin for many testicles) is rare, but it does happen. It happens in people as well. As does superfluous nipples.

Mother Nature has a strange sense of humor at times.

Peace,
Curtis

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I know that our meanest rooster ever was hormonally challenged!
The gland at the base of the tail was the size of a large grape. It was huge!
I never could manage to get into him though.
The skin was tougher than shoe leather.
I tried a razor knife, a new blade, all of the usual knives, and even beating the crap out of the carcass with the hatchet.. nothing.
DH came out to see what was taking me so long, mocked me a bit and then tried.
He couldn't cut into him either.
Weird.
Needless to say we didn't eat him.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Poly-orchidism (latin for many testicles) is rare, but it does happen. It happens in people as well. As does superfluous nipples.

Mother Nature has a strange sense of humor at times.

Peace,
Curtis
Rare in people but somewhat common in birds we studied it in a genetics class I took

1 - 7 of 7 Posts