Butchering question. Help please!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by homebirtha, May 9, 2006.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I just got a call from someone who wants a young goat for cabrito. They want to roast it whole. We were thinking we'd wait another month on our Lamancha bucks, but he needs it for this weekend. They are only 2 months old and I'm guessing they weight between 25 and 30 pounds. Do you think they would be good for this or too small?

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

cabrito is a smaller animal anyway, they dont want the HUGE animals, small means young to some markets, ask him how large he wants, its very possible you have just what they want

3. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

We slaughter and dress many for that use at that size.Full dressed the animal would weigh 50% +/-of its live weight,however when stuck to bleed,with the head on the finished carcass,it would weigh a little more.If you are doing the slaughtering and dressing remember don't split the breast or the pelvis.contact me if I can be of further assistance.
    '

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Sounds good to me!

In fact, I have two 7 week old LaMancha Boer crosses that are about that size that I am going to offer up for sale and if there are no takers, they are going in my freezer right away at that size.