Butchering in this HEATand LGD

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TexCountryWoman, Jul 11, 2005.

1. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I have two 50 pound wethers to butcher and am dreading the chore simply because of the heat. I don't mind the heat so much as the idea of not getting the job done quickly enough before the meat spoils. I only have shade trees to work under and my thermometer (the one in the shade) doesn't make me feel very good. Texas has been in the triple digits for awhile now, even in the shade. I won't even start with the heat indexes. I much prefer winter butchering because you can take your time and relax and not be in such a hurry. Also, I have 2 Great Pyrenees who have never been around for a butchering before and i have to do it inside an enclosure so the dogs won't try to protect the goat or get close enough to be confused by the blood. etc. Also, I use shallow well water which is not chlorinated and wonder how long the meat will last frozen with the microbes in it.

Other than working extremely fast with iceboxes around me, does anyone have any nifty tips for HOT weather butchering and not upsetting the Livestock Guardian Dogs?

2. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Well, dont know if I can be much help with your dogs, mine just watch from a distance, never had any problem, but they are pyr crosses. Try to kill without much fuss or noise, that should help.
    I recently did a dozen or so chickens, in the heat. Start early. I mean early.
    try sunup. I did the initial butcher/cleaning outside. Carried the meat inside to clean and cut into cooking size/grind. It may be a bit messy to cut your meat on your kitchen table, but if you throw plastic under it to catch "drips" and such and have all the major organs out it isnt too bad. For me it is more workable. Keep your meat in cool water in a pan. 50 lbs isnt too bad a size to work with.
    A couple of years ago I found myself needed to butcher a hog in the heat (everyone laughed at me) once it was skinned (didnt scrape the bugger) and gutted I hauled 200 lbs of meat in the house and finished up. a/c is much nicer to work in. If you have help it is good to have someone else wash/wrap the meat as you cut it up. If not, try doing most of the cutting then the cleaning/wrapping. I feel like if your temp inside is fairly cool you should be ok - at least better than outside.
    Have fun and good luck!

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

you could kill them skin them quarter them and wrap them, and stick them in the freezer to cool that meat. that is the most emportant thing, cooling that meat in a hruuy, then take a quarter at a time out to cut up and wrap, in the house, on your kitchen table.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

A large plastic sheet and a few bags of ice to put into the carcasses to help cool them and don't forget to do it after the Sun goes down and the temps. are cooling off too.Put the ice on the sheets and inside the gutted critters asap. that will help. also can you haul the carcasses inside asap and finish the job in the kitchen???

5. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

What they said! Plus add a little bleach to your water to kill the bacteria.

Kathie