Butchering heifer

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by crowinghen, Sep 18, 2006.

1. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

Do many of you that raise your own beef butcher the heifers? Or sell them?
    My cow had a nice Murray gray cross heifer in the spring. We live on small acreage so really can only handle one cow. The heifer is not as friendly/calm as the cow, so we'd keep the cow, plus the cow is an easy breeder/keeper, real mellow( hereford) she's also pregnant again for next year's calf. We'll be ready for a beef next Fall, so I'm thinking about butchering the heifer... somehow it seems wrong though, like I should sell her to someone as a replacement and buy a steer. Doesn't make logical sense to do that.
    I guess I'm just looking for opinions, assurance. :)
    Thanks,
    Susie

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Just because she's a heifer doesn't mean she's a candidate for breeding. If she doesn't have a good temperament, you're just going to pass a headache on to someone else if you sell her. Butcher her.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I send just as many heifers to the market as I do steers. The only difference to me is that the heifers bring less.

4. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Will she bring more sold as a replacement than she would for your beef? That's how I'd look at it.

Jennifer

5. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

We do both heifer and bull calves. Right now we have Holstein X Black Baldy calves. One heifer and two bull calves.

I have no problem with butchering heifers.

The yield can ba a little less, but the meat is no less good.

6. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

What I meant about her temperament is that she's not as quiet as her dam, I can't brush her or pet her :) O/w she's not nasty or anything.
    well it makes more sense to butcher her probably, I'm not sure what she would get if we sold her. She is a chunk though! That's another thing,too her mom is an excellent mama cow, and just 2 1/2. Never know how good of a mama the little heifer would be.
    Thanks for the insight,
    Susie