butchering goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by oceanmist, Jun 3, 2006.

1. oceanmist

oceanmist Well-Known Member

I would like to learn everything I can about butchering some yearling LaMacha does... how to fatten without making fat, what to feed and how much, when to butcher for best taste, etc.

Thanks Misty

2. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Just wondering why aren't you selling the does? They are much more valuable alive (milk, offspring, for years). I have two LaMancha milkers who produce over a gallon of top quality milk a day. Also in my area (Tennessee) LaMancha does can sell for $150 and up depending on their body/udder structure and age. Just think about it...Tennessee John

3. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I wondered the same thing? (that's what you get for asking a question - more questions back atcha, LOL). I'm thinking, does???

I've always heard younger is better, optimum being nine months for weight gain/versus input. I can't imagine a few more months is gonna do any harm. I'd probably make sausage out of older goats, myself - but I have lots of frozen pig/beef fat.

I've never fattened any, just fed the same old thing - looking forward to hearing any advice myself.

niki

4. oceanmist

oceanmist Well-Known Member

Well these are culls, so basically they are problem goats, not worth investing the time or effort into milking them... they are wild and have lousy genetics. The lady just wants to get rid of them and I want goat meat... sooooo here we are.
    I also have no other place than the freezer to keep them! :)
    Thanks Misty

5. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Ok great now I have the picture, slaughter under a year old and ideally under six months old. To add weight just feed grains high in crude fat proteins it's written on the label. Personally I don't try to fatten freezer goats for the simple fact the goats I have slaughtered had perfect portions of meat and fat. My wethers live off good hay/browse and a few handfuls of grain in the mornings. Good luck...if you need butchering help use the search engine and you will find step by step help with photos...Have fun, Tennessee John

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Dairy goats are genetically skinny compared to meat goat breeds so it will take quite a bit of feed to actually fatten them. Also, goats bloat quite easily so you cannot feed them free choice grain as if you were fattening out a hog. It may not be cost effective to feed them out and fatten them for butcher, it will cost you a good deal of money. If you want to just stick them in the freezer, just do it now, and be done with them. They just don't build muscle the way a Boer that is bred for meat does.