butchering day 2005

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by 2story, Dec 19, 2005.

1. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

Well the freezer is full, 05's pigs are history, butchering went well, I took you're advise and burnt the offal, that went extremely well! I skinned the pigs while still warm, what a difference!!! thanks all for the help!

2. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Wow I give you all a lot of credit who butcher your own hogs! I do my own chickens and that is a big job itself-but can't be anything compared to an animal my size! :rock:

My best,

Melissa

Occasional pig forum lurker!

3. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

I just now saw this thread. Congrats on the butchering.
    How big were they this late? (I guess it depends on when they were started)
    I kept waiting for the right weather (which never came) and let mine get to 360 and 370 lbs. They taste great and there's a lot of them but I don't aim to let things get quite so carried away next year.
    Anyhow, it's nice to have them tucked away in the deep freeze isn't it?

4. Gideon's War

Gideon's War Well-Known Member

I was late in butchering my chickens and they were big. I couldn't imagine if you let things slide on a pig. Procrastination doesn't pay :)

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I like bigger pigs. We butcher ours when they are between 350 lb, and 450 lb. the chops and steaks are bigger. We use a loader tractor to suspend the pig while we skin, gut, and split it so the size isnt really a problem. Also, we skin our pigs by cutting the hide in 2" wide strips down the leangth of the pig with a utility knife set to a shallow depth. The hide pulls off pretty nicely while leaving the fat on the body. This only works on the back. The fat on the sides and belly will peel right off with the skin taking meat wiht it.

6. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

sorry for not responding quick enough, they were started in august my largest was 275. I am always glad to see butchering day come and go. Next year i need to work on getting everything frozen ASAP we were quicker this year but i would like to be faster yet!

7. Angie

Angie Well-Known Member

Does it pay to let your hogs get 350 lbs. or more since you put so much more into feed keeping them that much longer? We butchered ours at 250 to 280 and only kept them till they were 6 months old.

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The conversion of feed to meat starts declining more rapidly in the low 200 lb range. The cost of feed will increase the basis cost per lb of meat if the hogs are fed purchased feed. I too like larger hogs and if the price of feed is not important then the nice big hams are a plus especially if you are curing the meat.

9. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

How long do you hang the pigs for 2story??

10. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

Ive never done the math. Imnot sure. We've just always wanted bigger pigs

11. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

I hang them over night. i shoot for a good cold (20degree or less) night.