Butchering Bull

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Phil - MO, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Phil - MO

Phil - MO Active Member

I had an earlier post where I was losing too many calves.
    Most people suggested replacing the bull.

Since he is only three years old, and weighs I bet well over 1600 lbs., I wonder how good the meat would be if I had him butchered?
    He is in very good shape for this time of year on a large pasture.

I don't want to sell him to another producer and I probably wouldn't get much per lb. if I took him to the local sale barn.

2. Lazy J5

Lazy J5 Member

The beef should be fine if he's in good condition and has enough fat on him for a good cover and marbling. Make sure your butcher (or you, if you butcher him) hangs the carcass long enough for more tender cuts. We've had 2 1/2 year old bulls butchered and they were great beef. With him being 1600#, I hope you have a BIG freezer! :haha:

What breed is he?

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Take the next 4 weeks or so and put him in a smaller pen. Grain him with fresh water and hay. Your meat will be fine.

4. Phil - MO

Phil - MO Active Member

What breed is he?[/QUOTE]

He is a Reg. Beefmaster. It wouldn't surprise me that he hits 1800 lbs. I just called the person I bought the bull from and he said that he raises bull beefmasters to 20 months and sells them at $1.25 lb. and they weigh over 1400 lbs. at 20 mos., and some over 1500 lbs. He said the meat is more red in color than a steer, and one guy has bought 6 from him. He said the only complaint he heard is that the steaks are so big. He told me what the carcass hanging weight was, but I didn't write it down.

This is over $1700 I wonder what I would get at the sale barn?

Maybe I better quit banding the bull calves and selling them as feeders, and keep them a little longer. Problem is I don't know of many people that have $1700 to buy with. I'll probably wind up giving half the meat to the son and daughter's families.

5. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have someone else do the butchering, I would check with them and see if they can handle an animal that large. I know around here, if the animal is over 1500 pounds they will not butcher them since they equipment is not set up for them.

Bobg