Butchering and Entrails

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by scribbage, Jun 21, 2006.

1. scribbage

scribbage Member

On the Yaholl Meat Rabbit group there is discussion of feeding the entrails as dog food. (event the head)

One reply even had recipe for human consumption.

What do the folks at this forum do.

I have two dogs - and we have 40 rabbits coming due to be processed. Obviously the dogs can't eat all that at once - so how to prepare and keep entrails for future use ?

looking forward to the feedback!

thnx
    Scribbage

2. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Yes, we feed the "extras" to our dogs, as they are on a raw diet. I don't process in large numbers, I process "by litter" - so when I am doing the processing, I give the heads and feet directly to the dogs, as well as kidneys, liver, and heart/lungs. The rest of the entrails just go into a bucket to be dumped down in the field for scavengers.

I'm sorry I'm not of as much help as I'd like to be - but I would imagine that it would freeze as well as any other "meat" would. Someone with more experience, correct me if I'm wrong? :shrug:

3. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Empty the intestines, and rinse them-- then freeze. Lungs, liver, other organs are good sources of micronutrients, especially iron ( in kibble, these types of things are called "meat by-products") remember that raw thyroid will provide thryoid hormones to your animal-- may speed up metabolism. The raw pancreatic and thymus may very well help immune systems.. Now, if one tans their rabbit hides, the brains are used in a tanning process-- recently read an article that stated every animal has just enough brains to tan its own hide-
    The intestinal wall will be very rich in fresh nutrients, especially in the upper or small intestine area. (connected to the stomach) The lower or large intestine is the area that produces the B vitamins-- but the lower intestine is also the area that E coli is harbored--, hence the rinsing...

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Uhmmm... I'm all for feeding one's pets well, but you good folks are aware, are you not, that the rabbits "giblets" -- heart, kiver and kidneys -- are excellent food for people too. I make a delicious rabbit pie with the front legs and giblets... a big hit at this house.

5. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Well, there IS the old standby comment about how our pets eat, which is----

" They eat better than I do"

I make sure my critters get balanced, healthy diets-- but mine--fuhgeddabout it!

6. scribbage

scribbage Member

this is awesome information - i love this forum!

7. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

My grandpa eats the squirrel's heads so I don't see why you couldn't eat a rabbit's. It's a little too gross for me to have a fried head looking up at me from my plate, but I would certainly feed it to my dog. I bet you could just freeze them in freezer bags and dole them out as needed.

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I haven't gotten to processing rabbits yet, but my dogs just LOVE "ducksicles"! (Frozen heads and feet, so far, but will add wings, etc., at next processing.)

9. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

When I lived in Italy my landlord, from whom I purchased rabbit from about 2-3 times a week, was always served the rabbits head when his wife prepared them. The head was split lengthwise from nose to neck, then the inside sprinkled liberally with parmesan cheese and a large peperochini was place on one half. The two halves where then placed back together and tied with butchers string. The rabbit was pan fried in a little olive oil, some diced tomato, basil, rosemary and the like. The head was always served to head of the house. I was offered it once but I was in my early twenties and still had food fears from my upbringing that i hadn't shucked yet, so I did not take it. Offered again however and my responce would be different (though i haven't attempted to fix it myself yet.

Not about entrails and not about feeding dogs but you comments made me think of the expearience. I've not seen someone stateside yet prepare the head.

J