Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you home butcherers handle the neck/shoulder area? where do you get neck chops from? Anyone do breasts for stuffed breasts?

so many cuts of meat I've eaten or read about - but faced with a nice carcass and a knife, I'm clueless. I think I've got the back end (legs and loin) all figured out nicely - but the front end always ends up as a neck (to be boned for sausage meat, bones for stock), 2 front legs (shanks + roast), ribs, rack, and the rest is stew pieces or for grinding (sausage making or just plain old ground).

help! next lamb hits the cutting board in 2 weeks. looking for inspiration backed with technical advice.

·
Grand Master
495 Posts
Has you carcass been hanged?

We would hang the carcass overnight in a cool location, hung by the rear legs which were spread apart on a 'gambrel'.

The first cut was a saw cut, starting from the tail and dividing the carcass into to 'sides' by cutting the entire length of the spine being careful to stay right on the centreline. The saw we used was nothing special, just a simple 'panel saw' that might be bought from the hardware shop for cutting wood.

Each side was laid flat on a board and the neck chops wacked off with a meat cleaver.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
it's 11:50 PM now, we just got finished dressing a ewe that had a prolapse. We'll let her hang until Tuesday and then she's burger... since she's a ewe, (I'd say about 4 yrs or so) I think thats all we're gonna do with her. But, what all do you think the dogs would like?

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
But, what all do you think the dogs would like?
Everything but the fleece and the "BAAA BAAA"

I have 4 grown Maremmas that can dispose of an entire carcass in a day or two
This one especially likes his meat RAW:

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
*laugh* I was going to say the same thing. We don't throw the hide or the head to the dogs... although I could throw the head the kids find half eaten skulls deeply disturbing. But they'll clean up everything else, including crunching their way through smaller bones.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slev, we've been eating our way through a 8 yr old BL ewe and the flavor is excellent! Quite the chewy experience if not cooked long enough - but makes really lovely braised roasts, stews, sausage, etc. Not the slightest bit strong flavored.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts