Butchering a stinky buck...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Simpler1773, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Simpler1773

Simpler1773 Well-Known Member

Is the meat from a smelly year old buck any good? Will the meat smell bad?

Ricki

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I'd like to know the answer to this as well... Because I've got a buck that may soon be out a job in the near future.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I butchered a two year old Nubian buck in heavy rutt and believe it or not, the meat was good(and I have some real goat meat skeptics in my house, if they say it didn't taste "goaty", it didn't taste goaty.... :) ). Now, I homebutcher, so I could be *extremely* careful and clean with the procedure. The hair never touched the meat and the meat was cooled immediately. He was a little tough, but after a little while in the pressure cooker or slow roasted for 6 hours......ahhhhhh, yeah! Now, I do *not* think I would trust a proccessing plant to be quite clean enough with it not to impart some of the taste from the hair to the meat. Also, if any part of the gut matter or urine touches the meat....the taste will be ruined, and I wouldn't eat the meat anyway, even after its effectively washed off.
    Even if it tastes a bit strong?? Make it into goat burger and flavour it up for sausage. Very affectively masks the gamey flavour and its a very good sausage. We once butchered three pygmy bucks who ranged in age from 1 to 3 years old. We made them into sausage and that was some GOOD sausage!! :)

4. Simpler1773

Simpler1773 Well-Known Member

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

If you castrate first, will the toughness go away, and how long after castrating should you butcher?

6. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Simpler thank you for asking this question. Emily, thank you for answering it. I have a 2yo oops wether (I think I may have missed something when I banded) and a 1yo buck that I need to do something with. I was afraid to butcher - fearing the meat would smell and taste like they smell!!!! ICK!!! I did buy a meatsaw on ebay, so when the weather gets cold I think I'll give it a try. Thanks again both of you.

Anne
    Cowgirlracer
    :hobbyhors

7. ozark_jewels

Hmmmm, don't really know. The castrating will not take care of toughness necessarily, as toughness is mostly due to age. But it might take care of some of the possible "gamey" flavour.

8. ozark_jewels

Your very welcome. Its not a sure thing. Even with the most careful technique, you can still have "gamey" tasting meat from a buck. But I didn't with mine. :shrug: And as I said, if it turns out to be "gamey" try sausage!!

9. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I always soak my venison in refridgerated baking soda water for at least a day. It draws the blood out and I think it tastes milder.

10. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

11. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

I know with deer we debone everything when I butcher. I've heard that when you saw through the bone you smear marrow across the face of the meat and that will give it an off taste sometimes.

12. Blue Oak Ranch

Blue Oak Ranch Well-Known Member

Give him a bath before butchering - that's what I plan on doing! Take the majority of the ick off, and then when he's dry, walk him over to the processing area.

Cheers!

Katherine

13. ozark_jewels

Yeah, I have heard that as well. I don't have to worry about it though as I don't cut through any of the bones with my technique. The only things I cut through are the joints so no marrow to worry about. None of the young bucks or wethers ever taste "gamey"....but it is a possibility with mature bucks. We debone our deer as well. Love venison!! :dance:

14. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

My dad always said not to excite them before killing, as in don't chase them or lead them thru the doe pen. He says this about all intact male animals. When he was hunting, he would not shoot a wild boar if he had chased it. Just an idea, sometimes the old people are on to something.

15. ozark_jewels

Yes, very true, and its not just intact males you don't excite before butchering. Its everything. Catch them while they are eating, don't chase them down. Keep as calm as possible, try not to scare them. Fear and adrenaline affect the meats flavour and tenderness.