butchering a bull

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by desnri, Nov 1, 2006.

1. desnri

desnri Well-Known Member

About three years ago we bought a bull calf from a dairy farm. We had planned on building a herd, but since then our plans have changed. My question is has anyone ever butchered a bull and does the meat taste okay. We had heard that the meat is stringy and tough. Any advice?

2. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Haven't butchered a bull myself - but do a search, there have been a few discussions about butchering older bulls. Most seem to think the meat is fine.

Niki

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Put it all in hamburger, and it'll be fine.

4. phantompark

phantompark Well-Known Member

We did an older bull (8 yrs old or so) he was tasty but a tad tough. But some of that was the butcher screw up. (don't ask, they are out of bus. now!) , the stew meat was really really good as was the tenderloin. You could probably get a few roasts and just marinate and slow slow cook them and would turn out well.

5. Ralph in N.E.Oh

Ralph in N.E.Oh Humble Shepherd

Northeast Ohio...60 minutes east of Cleveland
    Hamburger, best you'll ever eat, tenderloin will be large and very good.roasts and steaks will be tough. stew meat fine , canning meat good too... But if it was me, I keep the fillets (tenderloins) and grind the rest.
    Ralph ....... butcher/meatcutter for 20 years farming my whole life!

6. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

we only butcher bull, usually 2-2.5 years old usually jersey for reason well known to those who have em. jersey bull meat is great tasting and tender.

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

We butcher all our Jersey bulls. Anywhere from 1-3 years of age and they are delicious. We prefer ours in roasts and ground beef as apposed to steak, as the steaks can be slightly tough. Absolutely no gamey taste unless it wasn't properly killed.

8. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

very satisfying knawing on a hunk of jersey :rolleyes:

9. doodlemom

doodlemom Well-Known Member

That answers a question I've often wondered. I buy my hamburger at the grocery store and know the difference between fresh and old and was wondering why some hamburger is gamier than other hamburger. We were wondering if it had to do with the type of cow or feed. My mom said if it's the breed of cow than McDonalds has a patented "All" beef spent dairy cow because it doesn't taste like hamburger. Australian beef is now being marketed at Shop Rite and my question is why? I bought some and thought it tasted not as good. Big Y hamburger is usually good.

10. desnri

desnri Well-Known Member

I've been told to feed alfalfa hay for a few weeks and that will "sweeten" the meat. I've also read to put apple cider vinegar in the drinking water to make it tender. Do ya'll know about any of that?

11. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Get a really strong sharp knife and hatchet/machete maybe a meat saw also Some tarps for butchering on and some large coolers for the meat, DW did not like the taste of our to much but the kids and I sure did.