Butchered my first hog.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by MississippiSlim, Jan 16, 2007.

1. MississippiSlim

MississippiSlim Well-Known Member

I butchered my wild pig the other day and have to say it was a learning experience. I rmemeber when I was little my parentskilling hogs and now know why they had the entire community over! It is alot of work for one person. I wasted alot of meat just because I was tired of messign with it!

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

We butchered our first hog ourselves this fall too. We were lucky enough to have two friends help. I don't think I would even attempt it alone (unless I was desperate). As it is, it took 4 people and two afternoons to get the pig in the freezer. We normally send our animals off to the butcher but we both aggreed that buthcering our own animals was a good skill to have and we should do it again.

Heather

3. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

????? :eek:
    How big was that pig?

It's been a long time since I've done a pig, but I sure don't remember it taking 2 people much more than half a day (maybe 5, 6 hours?).

My SO and I just did a large doe, from hanging on the hook to into the freezer in about four hours. We woulda been done a lot faster, but we were taking pictures of the process.

Did you skin or scald? Grind? What cuts did you make (especially, are you smoking the hams, picnics, & bacon)?

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Pig was a normal sized butcher hog. It was mostly because we were in-experienced. We killed and skinned one day and then cut and wrapped the next day. We had our nose in a book the whole time to make sure we were doing it right. I suppose we spent like 6-8 hours total. It was a very busy time for us since we have to milk cows and take care of all our critters on both ends of the day. I'm sure the next time we do it we will be much quicker.

5. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

That's understandable. I'm always amazed by how long it takes my friends to gut, skin, and butcher deer. Knowing what you've gotta do/gonna do next saves a lot of time.

I save time by blocking out cuts that could be either roasts or steaks/chops. I freeze the 1.5 to 3 lb 'roasts', and decide if they're gonna be steaks when I want use them. It lets me decide just how thick or thin I need them at the time of use, as well.

6. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Just like anything else, the more you do it the better you are. Looking back, it feels like it took me all day to do first deer.

My first hog took me FOREVER.

This past fall, wife and I did 5 hogs. Total labor was 9 hrs, over two days