Butcher Saw Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pasotami, Jan 4, 2007.

1. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

I am considering the purchase of an electic butcher saw to cut up home butchered livestock. I would appreciate all advice from those that have one. The only ones I have found so far are on Ebay and at www.home-processor.com. Other sources are also appreciated.

2. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

We just did 2 sheep and a goat with B&D cordless sawzall, it worked like a champ, we used a metal cutting blade (for the fine teeth). We cut the meat with a knife then the bone with the saw, as the reciprocating action will not cut meat well. This wasn't a problem considering the cuts from the smaller livestock, but it may not work as well on the larger animals if you are trying to make blade chops or t-bones. I know this isn't exactly what you were asking about but thought it may be a good alternitive as a sawzall is much more likely to be handy for other things around the 'stead. Otherwise you may look at Northern Tool, I recall them having the bandsaws (and much cheaper than the site you mentioned!).

3. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

You may want to look at the Grizzley and Northern Tool sites. They both have similar equipment at better prices.

4. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

We use a Dewalt sawsall on hogs. Does a fine job.

5. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

hard to beat a cordless sawzall
    theres really no need for a high dollar stainless bandsaw unless your going for a USDA approved processing license. for home and personal butchering a good clean sawzall does fine.

6. All country

All country Well-Known Member

We used to just de-bone everything. Worked fine for us for several years, but is very time consuming. It does however have the advantage of saving freezer space.

When doing the first hog of the season last year I decided to get out DH's brand new sawzall. It worked OK. Sure was a lot faster and easier than de-boning everything.

Later when putting up a steer we used a neighbors professional meat saw. That did it, I decided then and there, we were going to get one.

I made a few calls and ended up with a commercial Hobart. We love it.

If your family does a lot of butchering it would be well worth it to get a big saw. If you only do one or two med. sized animals a year, I don't know that I would mess.

When we cut up a hog a few weeks ago, it only took us 30 minutes. We also had professional looking cuts of meat. As nice as that may seem, it really doesn't matter how "pretty" the cuts look before you cook them, what matters is how it taste. What we use to cut the meat has never effected that.

If you do decide to get a electric meat saw look around. Don't settle for a light weight cheap one. I've seen some that are meat saw and grinders all on one. I don't think they would last long enough to be worth the money.

Check around you might be able to find a great deal on a used saw.

7. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Harbor Freight Has them. Many of the tool manufactures have them Look under Meat bandsaws.

8. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

this is my opinion, but the low cost saws that harbor freight and others are selling are next to JUNK, I ordered one and opened up the box put it together and was totally disappointed and boxed it back up and returned it, then I ordered parts from Gil-built and made a band saw, and used one season, and then a deal came up and I bought a commercial saw, grinder, Jarvis Wellsaw, and some other equipment for $800,

there are two basic saws (power), ones for splitting, (many have suggested the reciprocating saws for this, a electric chain saw will work good as well,), the one your link has is the Jarvis Wellsaw, and it purpose is to split the animal in to halves,

then the band saw is to basically used to cut steaks from the loin area, and or the ribs,
    and like was said one can do a bone less cut, taking the back strap ( new york strip, large side of a tee bone) and the tender loin, (small side of the t bone), and then knife cut the steaks, (on a small cut of meat one can do a butterfly cut which is to cut it thick and then cut all most in half and then open it up like a butterfly wings),

for the most part unless you like bone in steaks, (yes some times the cutting is faster), but one can still have excellent steaks with a out saw, and once you learn the boneless cuts, it cuts fast,

Don't get me wrong the band saws are nice, but clean up is a chore, many times cleaning it up takes much longer than the use of them,

before I had my meat saw I just use my wood band saw for no more than what I was doing at the time, (one note, usually the wood saw is set up to cut with the blade on the right side of the machine, and the meat saw is usually set up with the blade on the left, and normally the outside part of the table is sliding on a meat saw),