Butcher Messed Up

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Lisa in WA, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We bought a hog from the county fair and sent it to the same butcher/processor we did last year. After the hog arrived, I called to specify how I wanted it cut which was the same as last year except for a change (size and seasoning)to the Italian sausage. The guy I spoke to found my order from last year and double checked it with me. No problem, right?
    We rec'd the hog tonight and have no Italian sausage, no ground pork, the fresh hams were cut into roasts (supposed to be whole for my husband to cure), and the stuffer pork chops have no pockets.
    So what do you do in a case like this? I haven't talked to the processor yet, I left a message for them. We paid quite a bit of money for a fair pig and even if the butcher refunds some of his fee, we've still lost some meat, or had it cut in a way we didn't want. Grrr....

2. americanbulldog

americanbulldog American Hunter

Sorry to hear that Lisa. Do you think there is a chance that they sent you the wrong order? It almost sounds like you someone elses stuff. :shrug:

3. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want it done right............................. :)

4. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, check to see that it isn't someone else's order. If your name is close to someone else's it could happen. That seems like way too much wrong for it to be anything else. Messing up with no sausage on a pig order is just far out of the ball park.

Jennifer

5. Lisa in WA

Well, the butcher called this morning and apologized. The sausage and ground pork is in another box waiting in their freezer for us. He did make a mistake on the hams...he remembers me telling him we wanted them whole and fresh so we could could cure them at home. Somehow they ended up being cut in half as "ham roasts". He did say that curing the ham roasts would be a lot easier than curing the whole hams. Hopefully, this is true.
    Thanks for all your advice! :)

6. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

LisainN.Idaho - when I asked the butcher for hams to cure at home they also suggested cutting them in half in order for them to be easier to cure -so I can vouch for that.

Niki

7. Lisa in WA

My butcher cut the hams accidentally, but it sounds like it was a good accident. :)