Buster needs a girl

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by 65284, Feb 1, 2005.

1. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

My advise would be to put that bull in the freezer soon and buy a bred cow/heifer with the proceeds. A bull of this breeding and age is, or soon will, be an extremely dangerous animal, very unsuitable for someone with little or no experience with cattle. Dairy bulls have a well deserved reputation for injuring and killing people, and those that have been bottle reared and/or been made pets of are the most dangerous of all.

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what I was going to say, but figured it's been said enough times around here.

All bulls can be dangerous, but dairy bulls are deadly.

Jena

3. desnri

desnri Well-Known Member

Thanks for your responses. I've been told before that I should get rid of him. My husband is about to some angus to raise for beef. But, I would like to have a good milk cow. We got Buster, first of all, because at the dairy you can buy a calf real cheap, and secondly, to give us some experience with cattle. It has been alright so far. He does like to play, though. I don't handle him anymore because he's just too big.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Buster likes to play because he doesn't realize that he is a bull and you are a human. That is one theory on why dairy bulls are so dangerous...they are seldom raised by cows.

Dairy bulls can be alright one day and kill you the next. They can come charging across the pasture with the intent to treat you as they would another bull. They can come charging through a fence for the same reason. Even if you aren't handling him, he could still kill you or a member of your family...when you least expect it.

Many a farmer has been killed by a dairy bull that turned. There is no predicting when, why, how they will turn. The more sexually mature he gets, the more dangerous he will be.

Please kill him first. A dairy bull is not the animal to gain experience with. Many experienced cattle people won't mess with them.

Find your cow and go AI.

Jena

5. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

if you could get an dairy/beef crossed hiefer calf you could probably raise a good milk cow for yourself lots of dairys do some crossbreeding so the bull calves will bring a better slaughter price ,most people dont need the volume of milk that a pure dairy cow will provide , we do ....... but i have also milked some half or less blood cows while my milk cows were dry, and i agree any bull should always be viewed as dangerious, the last bull i had was gentle but i still could have been severly injured when he threw a steer on me when i was feeding ,