Buss fuse

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Chuck, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a built in microwave that quit working. I took it apart and found this fuse:

[​IMG]

Does anyone know how to tell if a fuse like this is blown?

Thanks!

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

If you have a multi-tester, just test for continuity.

3. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Wow, That was in your microwave? Looks like the kind of cartridge fuses I have out on my power pole at my last farm. I just want to learn something today.

4. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

You will probably have to go to a contractors electrical supply store if you don't have a very, very good local hardware store for a replacement. They will be able to test and to tell you the amperage of the fuse. A special order would not be unexpected.

5. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

i second the multimeter thing. looks like a 15 amp readily available at alot of real hardware stores.

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

They are common, used frequently in electric furnaces. If for some odd reason you can't find one and want to wait for mail from Idaho, I can send you one. Have a bunch of them around here somewhere. My furnace takes about 10 of those critters.

You'll probably have to take it in with you though, because many sales folks will try to sell you a 15 amp buss fuse that's twice the size of the mini you have.

7. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I still have some in my little Rubbermaid storage tub of fuses...never will need them again. If you need them, just let me know. Deb

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Chuck, you are aware that you need to reassemble the microwave prior to testing it don't you? High shock potential and radiation exposure.

9. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

To check to see if it is blown you can use any meter that has an OHMs setting. Touch the leads to both ends and see if you get a reading.
    If you don't have an ohmmeter you can use a bulb or test light, but you have to have a power source. If you have an automotive testlamp you can use a jumper wire off of your car battery to one end of the fuse with the test lamp grounded and the testlamp to the other end of the fuse. If the light comes on the fuse is good.

10. Chuck

Yes, I remember reading about that...oh yeah, it's in HUGE LETTERS on the inside of the Microwave! :) I heard you can really fry yourself if you're not careful.

11. Chuck

oh, and thanks for the advice.