Business Location

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Grrrr....

I had arranged to set up my trailer to sell meat in a vacant lot here in town. The owner said he was trying to sell, but was willing to do a month-to-month deal. Fine with me. A month is plenty of time to find another spot.

I'm supposed to start Saturday. Today I called him and he says he doesn't want to do it. This is after I've handed out at least 200 flyers, told all my customers, etc. Big Grrrrrr....

The owner of a local bar had previously asked me if I wanted to set up at her location. I told her no because I already had one. She said I could set up for free and she'd let me plug in.

I am not sure if I want the bar location. I'm not a bar kind of person, though I don't have anything against those who are. Most of my hours would be when they were closed anyways.

Many of my customers are older people who are definitely NOT the bar types. My husband says they won't come if there's a bar nearby, but I think that's a little carried away. I dunno.

The other thing is that this bar is about 1 1/2 blocks away from the existing meat shop. We have a good relationship and I don't want to be atagonistic with my business.

What would you do?

Jena

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Just based on how close you would be to the other shop.Id look for another location,if you can find one.I would feel like i was infringing on his territory. ;)

But now thats just me.Theres really is nothing wrong with it business is business.And a free lot is a free lot. ;)

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Set up at the bar, make the money, send your customers to the meat store for what you do not have available for them, make sure they tell the meat market owner that it is you whom sent them. Maybe work out a coupon discount with the meat store owner so that it is mutually advantagous.

Being one whom has been inside of a bar (thats a whole nother forum in itsself) I attach no connection with those who are so obeviously disattached from the bar. Once you have established a customer base they will follow you anywhere if your products quality is superior.

4. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

Jena-

I think the key for you is stability of location. Customers do not like change. Set up at the bar if you plan on being there for quite a while (6 months minimum). If it's only a short-term location for you; to be used only until you find another site, maybe it's worth just waiting for that perfect spot. Loyal customers will follow you MOST of the time when locations are changed, but there is a point at which too much change just isn't good.

5. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

Jena did you not state earlier that you lived on the "main" road anyway?

and weren't you also looking for more freezer space

My SIL runs a flower store and she converted a "room" (concrete block walls and floor" into a walkin cooler lined the walls with thick sheets of styro-foam from store and put blower in there compressor outside keeps the room a constant 45

my .02