Business Cards

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I need to order new business cards. Heck when I ordered the first box, I thought I'd never use them all...they are about gone! I hand them out like candy at Halloween...

Anyways...my current card says

Jena Martin's Meat & Poultry
    Naturally Farm Raised
    Chicken Beef Turkey Pork
    Call for Information
    Licensed & Inspected
    Delivery Available

and my address, phone number and email.

I was thinking of getting rid of the "chicken beef...." and putting "premium quality" or something like that.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the "delivery available" since most folks don't bother and those that do know I will deliver. I was going to replace that with "retail or wholesale"

I was also going to change the "call for info" to "call to order" since I usually have everything in stock now.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Jena

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

I do the same thing Jena. Never order enough cards for various reasons and end up having to re-order. The county here keeps threatening to come up with a physical address system to replace the mish-mash of rural routes that we live with, so I hate to order too many. For me, a couple thousand cards is only about fifteen or twenty dollars more than 500. I end up using them for note cards or scribble pads, and always hand out a few to each customer. Cheapest advertising I know.

I like to keep my cards fairly simple, but eye-catching. I use raised ink with reverse (lettering isn't actually reversed, just some technical term for the lettering in the raised ink. I want my customers to be able to pick mine out from a distance or a crowd and have the important information immediately without having to hunt for it.

I make brochures on my computer that go into more detail of what we actually offer.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with bare-- raised lettering is very professional looking. You could add a logo, like a silluette of a steer. My cards are framed with two lines. Framing sets your card off. I like two colors also. Navy blue instead of black, and another color, medium blue being the best for most purposes. Two different styles of type will make your name stand out.

I think "call to order" is way better than "call for information". I don't know about the retail/wholesale thing. If you want to appear homey, don't mention it. Adding "wholesale" may make you appear to be just another big producer and I think you are trying to get away from that image. If you contact a grocer, obviously you will sell to them wholesale.

Naturally farm raised. Hmmm. I know you can't say "organic" because the big companies have cornered that game, but is there a better way to say what you mean? All natural. Range fed. Raised on my farm. I dunno, take a local poll.

It would be nice to keep chicken turkey beef pork. Maybe the nice people at the printing place can help you arrange everything so that your card doesn't look crowded. I think you are right about dropping "delivery".

I'd have top and centered, Your name in a different type and larger.
    under that, address. Then, I'd split the information into two sections, one hugging the left margin, the other hugging the right margin. The phone number could be centered at the bottom in larger type.

4. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Remember that your card may be given to someone by a customer. The second person may not know that you deliver. So I say keep it there--I know that would be information I would want.

So I basically like all the information you have on there already.

Also, shouldn't it be "farm-raised"?

Do you process the meat yourselves or have someone else process and include that in the cost?

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Do you think ordering cards is cheaper than printing your own? We were thinking of ordering cards with our name address and phone number with email address only.

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Depends on what you are going to do. If your's is an actual business, and you expect to be at it awhile, I highly recommend having "real" cards printed. I've been in business for many years, tried all kinds of advertising but the best return on my advertising investments have always been business cards and yellow pages.

You can get a whole bunch of cards printed for less than 100 dollars and as long as you deal with the same folks, they get cheaper as you go. Their biggest cost is having to re-set your plates, so as long as your information stays the same and you order lots of cards, the price each goes way down.

On the other hand, I've had many "temporary businesses". Maybe I've bought out a pot shop with staturary and want to store it and eventually resell it. I know I'm going to be dealing with a limited amount of folks for a short duration of time. In that case, I've created chintzy cards made on the home computer, using stock designed for making cards or even make them out of card stock. Homemade cards are just that, they look and feel inferior for the most part.

Having been in business for a while, one of the criteria that I use is the original business card that someone hands me. I really try not to be judgemental, but If someone hands me an obviously homemade card on cheap stock, and someone else hands me a professional looking and printed card, I'm thinking in the back of my mind...who's going to be around to take care of me next year?

But, getting back to what's actually cheaper... when you figure in your time in design, layout, purchasing stock, software and ink cartriges, I think a homemade card is pretty darn expensive per each. If you only expect to hand out 50 of them ever, it's probably the way to go. If you think you may hand out a couple hundred a year, multiply that figure by 10 and order some quality cards. You'll save lots of money, get them out to folks that can make use of them and have lots of note cards to leave at the coffee table of where ever you are doing business.

Besides that... it's a 100% writeoff on your taxes.

7. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

My newspaper usually prints my newspaper business cards for me and I have only some cards we made on the computer for the farm...

But here's what I do with the professionally printed cards "just in case" I run low sometimes, while I'm waiting on another printing etc.

I get a package of the perforated business card blank sheets from Wal-Mart. They're about $6 for 100 cards. I take enough business cards to match a card on one of those blank sheets and lightly tape them (with a small piece of Scotch tape doubled on the back of each professional card) until the blank sheet is full.

I put it in my computer scanner and scan one copy on a blank sheet of typing paper just to make sure each card is actually in it's appropriate place.

Then if I'm running low on cards I just print out a sheet or too while I'm waiting on the "professional" cards to come...

This is easier for me than trying to scan the business cards into the computer and it's easier than trying to make my own with the program on my computer, because then one press of the button (saving my "master sheet) means I can print out as many "professionally-looking" cards as I need...

It is less expensive to get the actual printed cards from a professional shop (My husband has to pay $35 for 1000 but it's still cheaper than printing that many yourself.)

best wishes! you must have a great farm!

8. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I go with a netural color myself and keep it the same mine is a medium blue granet . Basically 2 tone with black lettering. More info can go on the back. I think my cards are 30$ for 2 k printed both sides. The front is general introduction and information and the back is what I specialize in. Senior discountd gets lots of notice too 5-10% or free delivery for seniors. Whatever you can do to make you stand out. You could set up a webpage with information and send out e mail alerts for those who sign up for sales and such. My page can be done by drag and drop from home and can be changed as often as you want. 19.95 a month for everything. It has paid for itself many times over.

www.webbizbuilder.com

mikell

One of our sites

www.Squawcreekfarm.net

9. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Hi, I use to work for a printer and now work from home. I love doing business cards but they can get expensive with logos, bleeds, and more than one color. I like to make the name of the business stick out by using graphic elements like different typestyles, sizes of the letters . . . A lot of times this will have the same effect as a logo but without the price. The other thing I see a lot of is trying to get a brochure worth of info on that 2" x 3 1/2" card. Keep it simple and eye catching. Just looking at your info, I might leave the "Call for information" off, just to give you more space or put "Ordering Information" above the phone #s or "Ordering and Delivery Information".

My company offers a "cheap" contact card option that is a basic white stock with black ink. You choose from six layouts and fill in the info. These run 100 for $9.95 but are professionally printed.

If you go to my web site:
    http://www.jasdesign.cceasy.com
    go to the business stationery list and go under contact cards.

You can also check the business cards list to see how different papers and multi-color cards will effect the price.

10. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

With e mail alerts you can notify your regulars of butchering day and take orders for that day as in non frozen. For turkey day you could take orders and have them out the door fresh and know you have to do 20 a day or whatever. You can notify weeks in advance then 2-3 days before to confirm.

mikell

11. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

If you've got a membership with a club store, like Sam's or Costco, look at ordering cards through them. Sam's is pretty inexpensive, and the delivery is quick.

12. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I got these cards on-line through staples and was very pleased with them. Ivory linen stock with raised black ink.

I like to keep the card simple. There's a lot of information on there, but it is not cluttered. I don't have a logo and avoid graphics and the like. I have found that putting too much information in front of folks results in them seeing/remembering absolutely none of it. Clear and to the point works best.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jena

13. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

You can get Free (!) and very high quality business cards in full color at http://www.vistaprint.com Someone handed me their card and it is on impressively heavy card stock, nice design, for free it is pretty darn snappy!

14. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

staples is the best for a small business, you get the business rewards through them , and they double the amount of reward for any staples products you buy , and they send you coupons right now we have to get more cards made up , and i just got my rewrds check , for 7.00, plus a coupon for 10.00 off any printing over 20.00, so our next batch of cards is gonna run us about 12.00 for 1500 cards ....

heres what i would put on there

Jena Martin's Meat & Poultry
    Naturally Farm Raised
    Chicken Beef Turkey Pork

Licensed & Inspected
    call #########
    for order and delivery
    then email and all the rest of your info

looks good, and most imp. no abbreviations .

15. CindyOR

CindyOR Well-Known Member

We run a business during Nov. & Dec from our farm (we own reindeer), and so we don't need a bunch of cards, but we do hand them out from time to time. We use Avery 28877 Clean Edge business cards. They run 10 to a sheet, come in a box to make 120 cards, and you print them out yourself. We put together what we want on a Coreldraw template, and add a picture of one of our reindeer, then print off a sheet at a time. That way, we can make changes as they occur and not be stuck with a box of 500. We never know what will change, so like to keep fluid with the information. This year we could add our website information.
    If you just need a few at a time, this is a great way to go. Once you separate them you can't tell the difference between "regular" cards from the printers.
    Our cards are multicolored in pine green and deep red on a white background - and they are very eyecatching.
    Cindy in Oregon

16. bub

bub Member

I agree with keeping it simple. I also agree with putting a website on there. Get a free one or for $80 a year you can get one at www.bubtechnologies.com
    BUB

17. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Another thought... You are a loca business, so you might consider giving your business to another local business. If Walmart (or Staples) is in the business card printing business, you better believe that the little guy down the road really appreciates it when a neighbor foregoes the slightly cheaper megacorporation in favor of his shop.

18. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Well I did that with my receipt books and got stuck with 500 of them. The receipts don't tear out easily, they won't fold over as I go through the book and they generally are terrible. They also cost me twice as much.

The local printer lost my business, but I did give him a try.

Jena