Bushes a goat won't eat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by connie in WV, Apr 5, 2005.

1. connie in WV

connie in WV Site Admin's Boss

I would like to put some landscaping bushes around the house. Once in awhile our beloved (?) goats get out and come chew everything in the yard. Is there any bush that is goat proof?

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

To be honest, I wouldn't trust them with cactus! (Just kidding, or am I?) They seem to go for your favourite plants first. I have had the horror of finding every single one of my potted plant collection eaten to the dirt in the pots! I don't trust them at all! Sorry this doesn't help. Goats will be goats!

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

The best I've come up with is to get rid of the poisonous plants in the yard (after the goats ate an entire rhododendron to the ground - one of the pretty pink ones that kind of smell like coconuts). My goats don't seem to like peonies. They also leave the flea bane alone.

Come to think of it, I do have one holly bush (a seedling I never got around to pulling out) the buggers have left alone.

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

definately not rose bushes !
    they love them , oh mommy did you plant this for us, how nice, oh i love these heirloom flowers dont you , yes the thorns are good for toothpicks too , especially after youve eaten on those apple trees ....

5. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine seem to hate mint, which isn't a bush, but can take up a lot of space!

Mine seem to love every bush, especially the roses and lilacs. O and they loved my young, newly planted cherry tree. GRRR.

6. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

It must depend on personal tastes. My goats like the mint growing in my back yard. The only thing they really leave alone is grass - if they have bushes.

7. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Goats and deer like to eat the same shrubs. I'd ask a local greenhouse or landscaper what shrubs & perennials are deer proof and deer resistant, and try the ones that aren't poisonous!

8. connie in WV

connie in WV Site Admin's Boss

Peonies...yes! Now that you mention it, they have never eaten mine.