Bush with berries?

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by famer_manda, Jul 8, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

By the corner of one of my property corners we have a lot of brush of various kinds. They are not trees so I guess I would consider them bushes? Well there is two simular kinds and I am highly curious as to what they are. They flower out during the summer and in the fall they have berries. At first they are reddish and eventually turn a mulberry color. The "vines" or whatever the stems are that the berries grow from.. (would be the wood if it was a tree) turns a dark purple color as well though most of the summer it remains green. Right now there is a few of them with white flowers, a few with the mulberry/purple color and I think I saw one with red flowers on it.

What are they?? They grow up taller than me so I am guessing around 8 feet to 10 feet and then they hunch over and by the time their berries are shriveled up, the tops pretty much touch the ground.

2. famer_manda

Ooh I wanted to say that the berries grow in clusters and grow to be about the size of blueberries (not the super big ones but the average sized one ) Sort of resemble them in shape too. I smeared some last year and they had a brillant bright pinkish mulberry color and it stained my hands pretty good too but very beautiful color.

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

4. famer_manda

I looked it up, no but i do have those in another part. You know how cherries grow? kind of like a cluster at the end? but looks like theshape of a blueberry

5. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture?

6. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

I go with pokeweed too since it sounds like a large herb with stems that redden with age. Try a Google image for that yet?

7. DownHome

DownHome Well-Known Member

Sounds kinda like elderberries. Do they fruit in fall? not sure Google. for a pic.

8. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

How about wild currents.

9. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like Dogwood to me...