Bush Squash, and Bush Cucumbers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ceresone, Dec 8, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone grown either of these? did they stay bush--or did they just ramble less? and how was production on each?

2. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Does this mean noone has tried them?

3. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Okay - I have grown bush pumpkins and the production was less – only one per plant.
    Tell you the truth I never even heard of a bush cucumber. Then again I been sticking with the same varieties year after year.

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been happy with bush cucumbers, but never grew the "regular" ones to compare.

5. kbshorts

kbshorts Well-Known Member

Yes, I have grown both. I don't have the varieties handy but both just rambled less. Production was OK and I would use them again if space were an issue.
    KB

6. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

I've used bush squash(Sunburst Hybrids) and honestly I had trouble keeping up with the amount those 3 plants produced. I'ved never tried bush pmpkin or cucumber.

7. sleeps723

sleeps723 Well-Known Member

i have ordered bush cucumbers for next year but have not grown them befor just reg vine type.

8. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I usually grow both bush and regular vining cucumbers. The bush type are great for just popping into a 2x2 corner. The 2 or 3 varieties grown have never tried to take off sprawling or climbing even if given a chance.

Bush squash aren't always as easy to contain unless they are the zucchini type. Most of the bush winter squash usually ramble off about 3 or 4 feet. Figure on giving each plant an area of at least 3x3.

Martin