Bush Dying :

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dogo, Apr 18, 2006.

1. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

I have a Honey suckle bush is in serious trouble if I don't help it . The leaves seem to wilt and then die . After looking close it seems the limb inside is brown no sign of green , which indicates to me dead . This is happening it seems one limb at a time. A slow death . This is a tame honey suckle, but a bush. The blooms look and smell like the wild honey suckle. that's all I know about it. I also like to know can I take a cutting and root it, before I lose it completely. I hope not because this is one of the first plants my young son gave me . Please if someone has an idea what this might be. I would appreciate it . Thanks again you all have been so knowledgeable on other request I have made .......dogo

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

It sounds like it may either have aphids, which are causing a "witches broom", or maybe a soil wilt. Those plants are usually very tolerant of clay and heavy soils. I've never heard of them getting wilt but it's possible I suppose. If it is wilt, then you'll need to dig up the plant and replant it in another spot where the drainage is better. Wash the soil off the roots before you replant it. For the aphids you can spray it with most any insecticide. Spray it on a cloudy day or else in the early morning to avoid the fumes burning the foliage. The biggest problem with spraying aphids, is that they are on the undersides of the leaves.

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

When i saw this I thought you meant the other kind of Bush and I got excited for a fleeting second before I realized this was the gardening forum!

4. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

Uh what is a soil wilt ? This is a sandy soil . I have notice dogs using it as a fire hydrant ever now and then . But I thought it would take a lot of that to kill a bush . What is the symptoms of a bush dying from dog urine ? Does anyone know ? I might have to get rid of some dogs or put a fence around it ?