Bush Dieing :

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by dogo, Apr 18, 2006.

1. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

I have a honey suckle bush that the leaves seem to wilt and the the whole limb or branch seems to die . I am losing this bush little by little, one limb at a time . Please if someone could help I would appreciate it . The limbs seem to be hollow and I have looked close but I can't find a thing . I have notice at night a lot of snails or slugs use to come out not to far from the bush . I think I have gotten rid of them , but not sure ? Also can I root this bush ?

2. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Honeysuckle bush?Is it a clump of honeysuckle vine?
    As far as rooting it,most rellatives of honeysuckle air layer very easily.Dig a shallow hole(a few inchees will do),bend down a limb or vine,and bury a bit of it in the hole,leaving the limb attached to the mother plant.You might need to put a brick or something on top of the hole to keep the limb in place.Give it a month or two,pull the limb up, and check for roots.When it roots,cut it from the mother plant.This works great with lotsa' plants-Its how I propagate muscadines.

3. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

Thanks Swamp, now this is not a vine . It is a tame honey suckle my son bought 3 or 4 years ago for me . Its blooms look a lot like the wild and it smells like the wild . Other than that, that's all I know about it .It doesn't run like the wild honey suckle. It is a bush .

4. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

There are lots of different kinds of honeysuckle bushes out there, and many have escaped into the wild. As for what is ailing your bush? Hmm, Scale insects are a guess. sometimes damage like what you describe is caused by them. But I'm just stabbin in the dark.

And I'm thinking that swamp man has it right, the best way to propagate it is probably by layering.

5. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Sounds like witches broom, caused by aphids. By the time the damage is found, the insects are usually gone.