Burying Septic Pipe Under Driveway

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ThreeCreeks, Mar 1, 2005.

1. ThreeCreeks

ThreeCreeks Member

I'm putting plumbing in our cabin, and I have to run the main drain line (3'', sched 40 PVC) under the driveway/parking area to get it to the septic tank. The area is about three inches of red clay/gravel on top of sandy loam. The vehicles that will be driving on it will be minivan, 1/2 ton truck, farm tractor.

What is the shallowest that I can bury it without worrrying about breaking it driving or parking over it?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Run the pvc through a schedule 40 metal pipe and tamp the ground at whatever depth you need to access the tank. Remember sh**t will not flow uphill!

3. ThreeCreeks

ThreeCreeks Member

That's one good thing, we are on a hill, from where we are everything is downhill.

4. RMShepp

RMShepp Active Member

Originally Posted by agmantoo
    "Run the pvc through a schedule 40 metal pipe and tamp the ground at whatever depth you need to access the tank. Remember sh**t will not flow uphill!"

I agree with agmantoo--that should work.

5. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

At about a foot depth not much is going to hurt 3" schedule 40.

It this a pipe to the septic or from the septic to a leach field? If its to the septic I would'nt want the slope to be any more than say an inch or so in 12 feet. Water flow can outrace toilet paper and other solids and leave them behind to clog.

6. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

I was having trouble with mine and so was the lady next door. The City came out and dug it up. Man it was like 8 feet deep. It was the plastic kind and for some reason the city had doubled our two house up on one line under my driveway. They said they find alot of weaid drains from the 50's when there was on regulation on they way they were put in. They fixed it and it works great now. Didn't even charge me anyting.

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Are you located in an area that gets ground frost? If so, your pipes could freeze above the frostline, especially if driven over and compacting it to drive the frost deeper. Ideally, it's not a good idea to drive or walk over septic fields in winter. But if you live in the south, it's not a worry.

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Not to hijack the thread but here is a similar question.

Can I build a pond over my drain line? I'd like to expand my pond but the drain line is in the way and can't be readily moved. It would run under the pond to the septic on the other side. My only concern other than protecting the line during dam construction would be the pond water somehow breaching the pipe and draining the pond. It would be 6-10 feet below the bottom of the pond.

9. ThreeCreeks

ThreeCreeks Member

Thanks for the respsonses, everyone. This is a temp cabin until we can afford to build the "big house", so trying to keep cost and time input down. So will probably dig down a foot or so and try to get away with not using the metal pipe.
    I don't think the slope is much more than that, I'll try to check it. That is a very interesting point, tho. I never knew you could have too much slope, just not enough.

I'm in Northeast Texas, about an hour norht of Longview, so we do get frost but I don't think very deep, maybe just surface.

Questions about ponds are always good, I'll be putting in a couple (we have surface springs that are just dying to become ponds) and need all the info I can get.

10. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:no: You need 4 inch pipe and it needs to be 18 to 24 inchs below ground level,the proper fall is 1/4 inch per foot of run.Start your run from house so the proper depth of tank is established.I cant believe they let someone not liciened put one in as you dont seem to know how you need to get the code book from your local health dept.Or the very least a book from the library.There are a lot of considerations sush as where is you well

11. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

on your small torpedo level there are two sets of lines the outer lines are perfect pitch for drains

12. ThreeCreeks

ThreeCreeks Member

I'm not putting in a septic tank. The septic tank is already installed. There is a 4" pipe, about 18" deep, running from an RV to the septic tank. I am going to tie into the 4" pipe. My 3" pipe will be carrying waste from one commode, one sink, one shower (two users) to the 4" pipe going to the septic tank.

13. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

so whats the problum then cut in a tee iff you cant pust the pipe away to get the tee in and im shure you cant glue 2 nipples on the run of the tee and use no hub conectors put them on loose keep the tee up a little untill you glue the pipe in the bull when you push it down and its where you want it tighten up the no hub clamps make shure you use a waste tee there differant

14. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

by the way if you have to use any elbows 90 degree bends make shure there long turn the radius is greater there for waste lines