Burying fish

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Sherrynboo, May 7, 2006.

1. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

We decided to try an experiment this evening. We had gone fishing last night and had some left over fish carcasses so we picked out our puniest tomato plant and a puny corn plant and buried the fish next to it. I am anxious to see A) if it helps B) if it kills the plant or C) outdoes the other plants. I have heard in the past that is how the native americans planted but I think they started with seeds not already established plants. We'll see what happens!

Sherry in GA

2. NicoleandBrian

NicoleandBrian Well-Known Member

What a good experiment. I had forgotten that the Native Americans used that! Now you have me wondering again...Keep us posted on how it goes!

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

My money is on the plant with the fish taking off like a rocket!

I've buried fish before, and had wonderful results.

Will you keep up posted on your progress?

Thanks,
    Pony!

4. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

I did this once,and some kind of critter dug up all the fish,also up-rooting the plants.

5. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll post the results when I see how it turns out! My garden already looks radioactive from all the composted goat and chicken manure.

Sherry in GA

6. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I've done the fish deal for years. Before I plant tomatoes and peppers I take a bucket, a fishing pole, and go catch a mess of Blue Gills. Dig my hole about 6" deeper than the roots of the plants, put fish in the hole, add dirt, and plant the plants. Works great!!!!! :cowboy:

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry but this makes me smile. When old Squanto was showing the pilgrims how to raise veggies, I'll bet he started with seeds, cause they never mentioned his greenhouse.
    We don't bury fish, but we have automatic cat poop deposits everywhere we loosen up the ground to put in a row. Yesterday my wife had just put in a row of onion sets. She looked back down the row and there was old Tom all humped up making his deposit. She hollered at him with no effect so I told her to hit him in the butt with a rock. I thought I was kidding, but she picked up a little rock about the size of a walnut and fired it at him. Hit him right where he sat about to pinch a little loaf. He dug up about half the onions in the far end of the row as he laid a patch of fresh organic fertilizer all over them at full speed. Surprised me and old Tom both. Neither of us thought she'd do that. I couldn't stop laughing, and Tom came over and rubbed on my leg for pity I think.

8. Lythrum

Lythrum Well-Known Member

I have buried fish under rose bushes and had very good results. I'd always wanted to try it, but since my fish source is my koi pond, I hadn't wanted to try hard enough to sacrifice one of them. ;) But I got a rose bush and about that time one of them went belly up, and I got my chance.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

The coons and possums love it when I bury fish.

One of the few things I actually compost in a barrel.

.....Alan.

10. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

Hi all,

This thread reminded me of something.
    I had a girlfriend who was told that fish food is an awesome fertilizer. She had some great deals on fishfood and sprinkled it over half her garden. We were all amazed at how huge everything grew. Going to try it myself this year if I can get some good deals on fishfood!

Blessings, and joyful gardening,
    Tamar

11. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

We buy a 55 gallon drum of liquid ground fish every spring. We fertilize with it all year. It not only helps stuff grow, but we have found that it helps keep the critters away also.

12. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

For those who are NOT squeamish---you can make your own fish fertilizer.
    My sis makes this for her 100 rose bushes and for the new ones she plants.
    My dad goes steelhead salmon fishing and brings home som lunkers-7-17# fish. My sis just couldn't stand to see all those guts and stuff go to waste--so she cut up the pieces and put them in a 5 gal. bucket, put water in it-don't fill it up 'cause you don't want it to expand and pop off the top! and a bit of molasses,and yeast and put on a TIGHT lid and set the bucket in the sun. She says that in just a few weeks she has 5 gallons of fish fertilizer.(It is horribly disgusting----but free) When I use it I have to put out a few mothballs to keep the dogs from digging it all back up!

13. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Ever hear of the Bass-o-matic? A Dan Akroyd invention. Any blender will do. :rolleyes:

14. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

dear jersey girl, where do you get the stuff? we ordered some fish emulsion that was advertised in a magazine. I guess it is better than nothing,. it was kind of expensive.
    (my garden is new and still quite raw).

15. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

dear woodspirit, please do tell us, I have not heard and have no idea .

16. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Imagine a nice fish milkshake....

17. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Um...don't really do this unless they are small fish...my sis tried it with a steelhead salmon (large bones) in her vita mix......thankfully it was still under warranty!

18. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

Roses LOVE fish heads and guts. L-O-V-E LOVE the stuff. Been doing that for over twenty years. Never tried it on anything else though.

19. kenji

kenji Well-Known Member

so i would think too...

i left a fish from the freezer in a pastic bag to thaw beside a raised bed with young garden plants in the bed. And a varmit got it overnight left the plastic bag under the rock i put over it. there with a hole in the bag. the varmit left the young seedlings alone. now if i had tawed this and burried it in the bed i would have lost my plants...

aloha
    kenji

20. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

this is SUCH a great thread!!!! I had been WONDERING what would happen and now I know a range of possibilities!!!! Thats just so cool !!!! (I'm gonna have to try it now!)