Burpless seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kee Wan, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

I planted some of the "pickeling" cuces this year - (YUMMY!!!) adn one of them got REALLY big on the vine - I just didn't see it intil it was about a foot long and some 4 inches in diameter. IT had started turning yellow - and I picked it....

Does anyone know if the seeds in it are viable? I've only got the one kind of cuce, adn several of those plants. IF the seeds are viable - how would I go about getting them - and saving them??

THanks

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I dont know for sure they are viable but I would think so. Just let the cucumber completely ripen. Or just cut open the cuc and separate the seeds. Then let them dry. Cucumbers are very good at volunteering on their own so I would think it wouldnt require too much extra work.

3. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Kee Wan;If the Cucumber is Open Pollinated then yes.When you scoop out the seeds with the pulu you shoud ferment it like you do with Tomatoes.and then dry for at least 20-30 days.-

4. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

Thanks.....

That's what I thought - but I wasn't sure. THe thing is WELL ripened - WAY mroe ripe than anythign else - and I'm sure (although I have not yet tried) that the seeds inside are mature - we'll see when I crack it open.....

I wasn't sure - either - how to ge the seeds for next year.....I have stuff all set up for my maters, I can just pop them in another jar.....

THanks bunches.

5. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

You need to seperate different kinds so they wont cross polinate.

HARVEST: Cucumbers raised for seed cannot be eaten. They should be left to ripen at least 5 weeks after eating stage until they have turned a golden color. First, light frost of the season will blacken vines and make cucumbers easier to find. Undamaged fruits can be stored in cool, dry place for several weeks to finish ripening.

PROCESS: Slice fruit lengthwise and scrape seeds out with spoon. Allow seeds and jelly-like liquid to sit in jar at room temperature for 3 or 4 days. Fungus will start to form on top. Stir daily. Jelly will dissolve and good seeds will sink to bottom while remaining debris and immature seeds can be rinsed away. Spread seeds on a paper towel or screen until dry. (See instructions for tomato.)