burnt tractor

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by johnson, Dec 10, 2006.

1. johnson

johnson Well-Known Member

i have a 1976 case 1175 tractor. its 122 hp. i built a dozer blade for it 7'6" wide and 3' tall. it'll uproot 12" pine trees. i'm using it to clear my 23 acres. leaves caught on fire on the exhuast and top of the motor. before it could be put out it spread through various oil leaks on its way back to the fuel tank. where it procceeded to ignite the rear tires and burn to the ground. now heres the question. i believe the motor to be in good condition, but everything on the rear half of the tractor that was rubber will have to be replaced for sure. i bought the trac for 5000. i replaced the exhuast system and the turbo, which should all still be good. i'm thinking about rebuilding? what would ya'll do?

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

there are a lot of seals wires and other hidden parts that will be warped and need replacing . i would look for one needing an engine myself. have seen ones burnt less end up costing way more than their used value.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

From an old gent that made a living by salvaging burned equipment I learned that any machine was salvageable that did not get hot enough to melt any parts that were made from aluminum. He would go to sales and observe tractors that interested him and he closely looked at all things aluminum on the tractor and from that he made his decisions. Does the oil in the differential smell scorched? That was another indicator to him. Most of his repairs of internal damage consisted of seals. The outer repairs were obvious.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep hearing the wiring will never be the same.....

I'd think hard on finding one with a blown engine.

--->Paul

5. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Id for sure be getting a new wiring harness

6. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

My Brother & I completely rebuilt 2 rear half burned tractors. It certainly can be done, if you like that type work and can devote MANY hours of your time to the project. If it is a cab tractor, this will add to your time & expense.
    The following( may ) need replaced:
    All Seals & Gaskets
    Operator Seat
    Dash instruments/gauges
    Complete wiring harness - Loom as Ford Major calls it.
    Batteries
    Steering Wheel
    Fuel Tank
    Hydraulic/Trans Fluid - A good chunk of cash right there these days.
    A kit of rubber knobs/handles for all levers in cab
    Rear Tires
    Rear Area light receptacles and bulbs
    Primer & Enamel Paint
    Fuses and any Filters on rear half.
    Hydraulic hoses or heater hoses to cab if applicable.
    Cab glass if applicable.

It's a big job. And you have to consider the value of the Loss of use of the tractor during the time you are rebuilding it.

Looking at just dollars & cents, you may well be ahead to buy a good used Case Tractor that your dozer blade will fit on. Then you could sell your burnt tractor to a salvage yard or retain it for it's parts value. 2WD Row Crop Tractors in the 120-180 HP Range sell CHEAP. The Public perception is that they are too big for small farmer or chore tractor. The big commercial farms that farm many acres think they are too small - they all want 4WD articulated 300 HP Plus for fieldwork tractors.

Just a thought - Have you checked your farm/homeowner's insurance to see if they would kick out a chunk of cash to compensate you for your loss?