Burning weeds

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by plowjockey, Feb 26, 2011.

1. plowjockey

plowjockey Well-Known Member

Anybody burn their weeds and grasses, in fence rows, etc, verses spraying?

Harbor Freight has a propane torch, that puts out about 12" flame, that looks like it might cook things pretty good.

Just wondering if it was effective for weed control.

2. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

I use one to keep weeds at bay all over our place. Great for starting the campfire when the wood is damp. One of the best gifts I ever got. :clap:

3. sammyd

sammyd Well-Known Member

burning is very effective. Just be careful.....

4. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Yes burning is a way to keep the fence rows clean but be careful take a burlap sack and a bucket of water along with you so that you can fight fires that get out of control and they will.

5. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Yuppers - burn along the drive, etc. great to keep those seeds at bay. I burn along the forest edge too as a fire break. Need to burn a field soon if the wind will ever stop. I have a propane torch thingie that I attach to a propane tank I put on my dolly. Mine puts out a shorter flame & that's OK with me as I can control it better.

6. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

Saw something similar at TSC the other day for about $50. Had a dolly, long hose, flame gun, and an empty 20 lb. tank. Looked pretty good, but don't know about the flame spread.

geo

7. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

If you buy the HF one, also get the extension hose as the one provided is only about 5-6' long.

8. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

The flame will be about as wide as the head on the torch.

You don't actually "burn" the plants.

Passing the flame over them slowly "cooks" them , causing cell walls to burst, and the plant dies.

If you leave it on them long enough for the plants to ignite, you're using more fuel than necessary

Google "flame weeding" for more details

10. pheasantplucker

pheasantplucker Well-Known Member Supporter

Have one, but to be honest...I don't know if hitting them with fire is the problem or what but they seem to come back even thicker after scortching them...

11. Harry Chickpea

Harry Chickpea Well-Known Member Supporter

Tried it in the garden last year, with mixed results. Obviously, I didn't want roundup in the garden, and the weeds were a little high... Lugging around the tank is a pain, no matter how you cut it, and the wands are built for shorter Chinese people, which means you either get DW to do it or bend over a lot. :D I wouldn't bother with it on fencelines. Spray lasts a LOT longer. The torches are cool when you set the regulator on full open and create dragon breath. The best use I found was burning off the dead weeds in the drive after the roundup had worked. Dead plant material can be slick on a drive.

12. ronbre

ronbre Brenda Groth Supporter

in our area they are now goinng to outlaw all outdoor burning..period..

13. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

I use a flame weeder in the garden. I agree to make sure that you have a solid plan for putting out any unwanted flames. I set back fires when I need to burn larger areas, and always make sure to have a hose or other water source. I use the Red Dragon Farm Size torch ($70 at our farm store). Flaming is immensely satisfying, so there's that.

14. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Burning works good. Just be careful around fences, if the fire starts to run and you're on the wrong side of the fence it might get out of control by the time you get to it.

15. farmerDale

farmerDale Well-Known Member Supporter

Burning works. For annual weeds. Perennials like grass and thistles, you'll fry the tops, but the roots are still very much alive. They need a slurp of roundup to control the roots. Otherwise they just come back, as someone else said, sometimes with big time vigour with less competition.

So, annual or perennial weed? :)

16. Oldcountryboy

Oldcountryboy Well-Known Member Supporter

I need to get one to use for control burning. I seem to wait around too long and things get too green to burn. Then I have a hard time keeping a fire going. Whatever doesn't burn I could zap it with the propane burner.

17. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

We had a fire marshal nail a local landowner who had the misfortune to start a fire during a no burn period, let it get out of hand leading to a 911 call, and do it while the fire marshal was in the county teaching a class for us.

While we were on the hillside cutting fireline, the fire marshal was giving the landowner his free ticket to a court appearance.

18. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

There's been a burn ban in South LA for quite a while, due to a several year drought. It is green-looking, but the water table is low, so not much burning going on here this year. ldc

19. ErinP

ErinP Too many fat quarters... Supporter

I guess I've been too close to one too many prairie fires to even want to TRY such a thing... :shrug:

20. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one of the 1,000,000 BTU torches you get through Harborfreight. I use it for burning whatever needs burning. Just the other day, I raked all the weeds left over from letting my asparagus patch go vegetative. Rake it all together in a big pile, but don't want to foul the soil with diesel to get the pile to burn. Just stick the torch under the pile and let it get it going without fuel being added. I have a lever on my torch that lets the torch burn on afterburner (increases the propane flow). That helps sometimes when the weeds are a little damp. It is great also for doing things like burning the fur out of rabbit cages and burning the cobwebs out of the chicken coop. Just keep a running hose nearby, and think before you burn.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011