Burning gas logs in old brick fireplace?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sheeplady, Mar 20, 2004.

1. sheeplady

sheeplady Well-Known Member

We are in midst of remodeling my late uncles 1800's farmhouse. There is a Rumford Brick fireplace in the middle parlor.Built in the mid 1800's. In good shape, but all brick and no flu liner. To renovate it to burn wood ( and meet codes) I was told the whole chimney would have to be dismanteled down to the firebox, a flue liner and damper put in and the brick replaced. At a cost of aproximately $ 4,000! :eek:
    Can I put a gas log insert in with just the existing brick?Or can I put an insulated steel pipe up through for gas logs? Anyone else have a brick fireplace that is similar?
    I did have a block chimney with tile liner built on end of house for a kitchen wood cookstove so will have some wood heat. But I would love to use the original one too ( and not burn down the house in the process. :)

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't tell you what code would allow with gas logs. I wouldn't be afraid of using them the way it is. BUT if there isn't a tight damper or doors to shut off the air flow up the chimney it will cost a fortune to heat the house.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

In most areas a gas heating device up to 40,000 BTU can be burned unvented. I personally would not want to burn such a device while the household is sleeping however. I did see on an old "this old house" tv program where a chimney was salvaged by inserting an air filled collapsible tube inside the chimney. Then the area around the tube was filled with some substance, which I do not rememeber, and when the substance setup the tube was removed resulting in a useable chimney.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Ask the gas log manufacturer for their recommedation. Also ask a good chimney sweep. I have two old fireplaces, but I won't burn anything in them.

I do agree that you need to block the chimney's to prevent heat loss. I stuff mine full of plastic bags full of foam rubber. They are up there far enough that you can't see them and they block the heat loss.

Jena

5. I don't know if this would meet code, but I've seen a small woodburning stove installed inside an 1800's fireplace with the pipe run up the stove. Put out more heat than the original fireplace and was safer, anyway, and didn't look half bad.

Leva