Burning a shed...questions.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, May 9, 2006.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I got to burn this shed down. It is leaning heavily, the roof is half gone and it's just junk.

It is full of stuff. Mostly boxes of clothes from the previous owner, but I'm sure there are some non-burnable (glass, metal) things in there.

Is it easier to burn it, then clean what's left up, or should I try to haul the crap out of there and get rid of non-burnables first? Either way, it sounds like a big chore!

Jena

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

It seems to me that it would be easier and "cleaner" to clear out non-burnable items first, because afterward everything will have soot on it, plus glass may have shattered if there is any in there.

On the other hand, you will most likely have to do some clean up anyway, for things like nails, etc in the boards.

Sounds like a big chore either way... you'll be really glad to have it behind you, I bet!

3. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

There might be things of value in there that you don't know about. I would go through everything (especially POCKETS!) first. Can't you use the wood for something? It seems like quite a waste to just burn a buidling that might have something useable left in it.

donsgal

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Oh there's nothing that valuable! The guy's wife left him some 20 years ago. This is her stuff that she didn't take with her. Trust me....I have already cleaned out dumpster loads of crap from this guy...the only "valuable" thing I found was a ceramic hand posed in a well-known gesture of contempt. I carefully placed it on a window sill pointing towards my ex's house :)

The tin on the roof is partly useable, but that is definitely easier to get after I burn it.

Jena

5. Goldwave

Goldwave Active Member

Hi - I'm new to the board and enjoying reading everyone's ideas. Just wanted to mention, if you bother with eBay selling, you might be surprised what people will buy.

6. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I've known city folks who will pay a lot of money for picture frames made out of "weathered" barn wood. Also, bird houses made out of it. You'd be amazed what people will buy. Really. :shrug:

donsgal

7. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I'm sure this isn't the earth-friendly way to do it, but...I'd have a party and burn it all down, then whatever didn't burn, hire someone with a little bulldozer to come out and bury the rest.

8. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are satisfied that there is nothing of value or danger in it, check with your local fire department and see if they want a "test structure" for training. Maybe they will burn it for you. Depending upon the size of the building, a loader can probably remove the debri in one of roll off dumpster. Good luck, and be safe.

9. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I would pull the junk out first,then burn it. I think you would regret burning it all up,because like someone else said,glass shatters...not to mention,whatever else. It's just a sooty mess. I burned some things like that last summer...and I'm still picking up bits of stuff that didn't burn up.

10. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

The tin will not be any good after it is burned,trust me it will succumb to the heat.You do no how hot this will get correct? Not sure how big it is but it doesn't take much when your talking a building.Especially barn lumber.You can not control it with a water hose.Once it gets going you cant even slow it down.If there are any trees with in say ten ft the green leaves will incinerate with enough heat all at once.So will any lawn,or over growth.And any tree with in 20ft will most likely die.
    Also WARNING if it is within say 150ft to 200ft from your house be sure you do not have any vinyl siding or soffit.It will sag and or fall completely off the house.All it takes is for the wind to gust that direction once.

Dont ask me how i no all this. :rolleyes: :D

After its burned try planting a garden on that spot.You'll be surprised how the soil works up.It will not clump ever again.Kinda like sand.

As said check with your local fire dept. They usually burn things like that for you.Or charge ya to put them out,when a concerned neighbor calls.And they deem it unsafe.

11. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Tin is junk after it's been burned. Can't pull it down first? I mean tie a cable on and pull with a tractor or truck (he sez not seeing the thing) Your certain the old guy before didn't hide things in the boxes? Old guys do some unaccountable things, if his ex liked oil lamps and he didn't they might be there and full of oil. It'd worry me burning boxes of junk, can't you at least tip them out where is before burning?

12. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

What kind of wood is it? Old pine is going for $1 a board foot UNCUT!!! You may have $2000 in that old shed!!! I've heard of people getting $10,000 for a 900 sq foot shotgun house. There are people here in Louisiana that will come and tear the building down to salvage the wood. They take the beams and slice them up for flooring. You may want to investigate that. Also, could you use some of the wood for another structure, maybe smaller? Or can the wood be used for heating in the winter? I'm with the others, the tin will be toast after the impending inferno. Also, I'd get the unburnable crap out of the shed first. Pick it up now when it is decently clean (provided the structure is suitable for entry) or pick it up later when it is stinky, soot-covered, and there are hidden nails to stick through your foot.

13. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

Be careful! We had a building like that and I casually asked a fireman
    friend what the rules were regarding someone burning down a shed.
    He replied, " If it has one board with paint on it, you can be fined."
    Of course, lightening could always strike it some stormy night. We
    had to have ours bull dozed to a tune of over $2,000! Ours was
    very large and in a dangerous condition.

14. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

My thoughts, this is the homesteading site and most people in here help each other out and are concerned about others. Even though its work, i would go through it and donate it to a charitable thrift shop, or one of the free stores. They take everything, your trash may be someone elses treasure. There are alot in need and wouldnt mind fixing something up they could otherwise not afford to buy. Its in your heart,.. otherwise you wouldnt have asked what you should do. If it wasnt in your heart that maybe goodness can come out of that shed, you would have already burned it down. DO THE RIGHT THING.

15. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont know the age of your shed but if its over 40-50 years you may want to rethink burning. If it was painted in lead paint it will leave a toxic residue in tthe area that you will never be able to get rid of.

I had a similar shed behind my home. It was about 60 kyears old and had been used as a smokehouse at one time. I disassembled it board by board with a maul and prybar. I discovered that it had been origianlly sided with rough sawn lumber later covered in tin. When I planed down one of the siding boards I foundbeautiful longleaf heart pine beneath the surface. I ended up salvaging over 200 board feet of heart pine out of that building and heart pine sells for $5-10 a board foot. WEll worth the time I put into tearing it down and hauling the junk to the dump. I have plans in the works for converting the old shed lumber to some beautiful floors and countertops.

16. JGex

JGex Pragmatist

I would not burn it due to possible toxins in the structure, and contents.