Burned at the auction

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mary,tx, Jun 30, 2006.

1. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I just sold a handsome five month old, full Nubian buck at auction. I brought home a check for $20. :Bawling: I heard someone else talking that the Friday before a holiday is like "playing Russian Roulette" at the auction. So I guess I got burned. Last year I thought I did well, and I like this auction. So I still might go back next year if I don't sell them all with ads. But I won't go on a holiday weekend. Have any of y'all had experience with certain times being better than others for selling?
    mary

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I've had cattle for years, and you just don't take your critters to the sale the last week before a holiday. Been there, done that, got burned, too.

:nono:

3. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Darn!!!

I didnt even THINK about that this weekend being a holiday (goat wise). I read that goat auction prices have been going down over the last couple of weeks, so am trying to sell our wethers from a sign in the front yard. Had one guy tell me that 50.00 for a bar-b-q goat is too much, then a lockerplant called....so I'm not TOO worried. Come September theres a BIG goat sale in Huntsville. Anything I want to divest myself of that isnt sold by then will go there. Better prices than the regular auction since the "buyers" will be there.

DARN !!! Im SORRY to hear that. Thats gonna make my mom cry!!! (She LOVES her nubians!)

4. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

We have an auction up north of us on Friday and an auction south of us on Tuesday.

I went to the Tuesday auction and did pretty well, even though I thought that it wasn't nearly as well attended as others. But I feel good about my price since I got her for free anyway - $70 for an alpine doe with spur teats.

Pigs are going for OUTRAGEOUS prices regardless of when I go to the Auction! Most folks are selling them via adds and word of mouth for about 95 a feeder. It's the same price at auction - so I'm thinking I'll up my price when my piglets come.

Heck, even old laying hens sell for over $5 a piece here. I sell all my older birds there. At last auction one guy bought 13 chickens (11 roos) for $9.50 each! I looked at the seller who was next to me and said, "SCORE!!!" His pigeons sold for $2.00 each FOR PIGEONS!!! My hens sold for $5.25 each

Sorry you got burned, but it's good to know about the whole holiday thing...

kids

5. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

I think it's a matter of which holiday you are talking about. The day before Easter works very well for me selling goat kids.

6. midkiffsjoy

I wish WE had an auction like that!!! I've HEARD that there is a small animal auction SOMEWHERE around here, but no one will tell me WHERE because they buy their animals there and sell them to US through the paper at profit. Oh well....
    man you cant even FIND pigs down here. I've asked the auction barns (because when I was a kid they had pigs EVERY weekend) they looked at me sideways and told me that people didnt raise pigs anymore. pout.

7. mary,tx

This goat, unfortunately, had to go to the auction today. The five month old does came in heat this week, and suddenly his fence couldn't hold him. Next year I think I'll wether them all, then I won't have to worry about it.
    mary

8. mary,tx

I stayed to buy a calf and came home empty handed. There were lots of people wanting to buy a few calves. :help:
    mary

9. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Hey Joy, can you give me the details on that goat sale in Huntsville? I'm not all that far away...just something I'd like to know about :)

10. midkiffsjoy

Debra said it was gonna be in September and that it was gonna be a quarterly thing from now on. I havent gone up to find out what day in Septemeber yet, but I'll post it when I do. I'm sure Debra will know and stop and tell me when she checks on the turkeys. grin. Us turkey/goat owning, fence building, homeschooling, tractor driving girls have to stick togeather!!! Heck I only know of TWO in Bedias. And I'M one of them!!!! giggle!

11. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

12. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you work as soon and as hard as you can to develop a slaughter market for your surplus goats.We work hard here to keep a list of people who will buy goats whenever we have them.I slaughter and dress many animals here,but it has been my experience that almost without exception a goat, properly slaughtered and cleanly and neatly dressed for the spit or cut for the grill or freezer,is always worth more money than a live one being sold at auction.Just a thought,best of luck,John.