Burgess seed and plant company

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kosh, Apr 29, 2005.

1. kosh

kosh Well-Known Member

Has anyone ordered from them in the past? how was your experience? was there stuff ok quality, or junk? THey have a lot of fruit and nut trees, that are small, but cheap. I was thinking of ordering some..

thanks,
    Jason

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

3. kosh

kosh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link southerngirl. Not very good reviews. I figured they would have the same kind of rep as michigan bulb and was right. I will pursue other avenues for buying the trees i want.

4. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

DH ordered some stuff from them 2 yrs ago because they were so cheap. In this case you do get what you pay for. Bargain strawberry package with no varieties listed, moldy rotten potato sets and teeny tiny little trees. About 1/3 of the raspberry plants he ordered died too. We didn't bother contacting them, didn't really want their replacement stuff even if we had been able to get it.

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Last year was the first time I ordered from Burgess. The delivery guy left the dark green plastic bags sitting on blacktop in the sun on a 70 something degree day. Most of the plants were cooked. We decided that we would see what survived and ask for replacements this spring because it took almost 3 weeks for them to respond (by mail) to my telephone inquiry. Haven't heard back from them yet (sent the request certified mail - this was a $300 order). I plan on calling them this week to find out where things stand.

I can't blame them for the delivery guy but when I compare them with Stark Brothers I find their packaging and customer service lacking by comparison.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

6. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

We place an order with burgess in January and expected our plant, seeds and trees my march...well several weeks into april, i never received them and so i called (it took me all day to get ahold of someone) gave them the order number and name and they "Have no record" of my order, and i have a printed final receipt that i guess means nothing to them...thank goodness my order was minimal and no real "loss". I think what i am saying is "They Suck" on customer service, professionalism, and (from what it sounds like) product too.

Belinda

7. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

The only thing I've ordered were these fast growing willows (twice) and have very good luck with them.