Burbanks has a hernia

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dalilies, Jun 4, 2005.

1. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

Being new to raising pigs, it took us a little while to figure out that Burbank's underside shouldn't be shaped like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like he has a bad hernia. Is there anything we can do? Will it kill him? Should we start thinking about an early butchering? He is about 4 months old. It doesn't seem to bother him and he can urinate although it isn't a "strong" stream. Then again, I don't know how strong of a stream a pig is suppose to have. :rolleyes:

My Brother in Law just had hernia surgery for the same area. He came out today and you want to talk about a man feeling sorry for a pig.

2. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

We had a vet repair a hernia on a pig a couple years ago......after the surgery was over I had a chance to speak to him ( a vet tech friend dropped the pig off initially). He told us that for the most part it won't bother the pig...although it can sometimes..but pretty rare.....he recomended a home remedy which consists of taking the lid off of a margarine or some other plastic container lid and after you catch the pig you place the lid against the hernia and duct tape it to the pig....going around the pig to hold it on....he says it works almost as well as the surgery....the surgery will cost about $100....

3. dalilies

I thought about trying to duct tape it, but wasn't sure how to go about it because it is next to his penis. I worried about interfering with the urine flow.

Would the lid have to stay duct taped on until time to butcher? I don't even want to think about having to catch him every week to redo his tape. I don't think he would appreciate it after the first couple times.

Why is it that country life is always filled with fun ideas that bring on all kinds of interesting challenges. At least duct tape, twine, and desperation can fix most anything. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Jennifer

4. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

the vet told us about a month should be enough...he also said doing nothing was OK also...to wrestle or not to wrestle is the question...

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Dalilies,
    This is a very common type of henia in pigs and my advice would be to leave it be although there is no harm at all in trying the remedies that have been suggested.

Problems arise when the hernia is large enough for part of the gut to drop into it and it then becomes "strangled". Your pig looks healthy and happy and I doubt that the hernia is bothering him half as much as it's bothering you :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

As long as the hernia does not get to where it drags the grounds and thusly creates a wound from the abrasion it is of little consequence. Burbank ignores it and so should you since Burbank is destined for other than breeding stock. The area will be trimmed at the processor and there are no edible areas in that location. All will be fine. Just watch the hernia for Burbank and if flys start to bother the hernia schedule a trip to the processor promptly. Often this problem is brought on by improper holding of the male pig during castration. Rough handling and physical stress are also contributors.

7. dalilies

Thanks so much for the replies. I'll keep an eye on it and not let it bother me more than it bothers him.

Jennifer

8. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

I've had two or three pigs with hernias, they're unsightly, but never been a problem for the pig and it doesn't make a difference in the way the meat tastes! Ours were all for home consumption; would hesitate to breed a pig that showed a hernia - could they be a genetic disposition?

9. lizmont2000

lizmont2000 Active Member

We had 2 show hogs, one of which came with a small hernia. We did not tag him in for my daughter to show at the fair----by the time the fair came the hernia had reabsorbed!!!

A couple of morals in this story:
    1. don't let anyone else pick out your hogs for you!
    2. tag everything for the fair just in case!
    3. no matter if they show, or place they still taste good after you say grace!

Have a great day!
    Liz