Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I'd be fine to keep a rabbitry in my garage. It's a large garage, but there are no windows, and only one of it's doors stays open. Would I need etter ventilation, or is it fine. I was planning on putting up hanging cages. Is it better for rabbits to be indoors or out (I live in Oregon, by the way, where it's always raining, but it doesn't get too cold or too hot)?
Thanks for your consideration,
~Kel~
 

·
Flying Z
Joined
·
659 Posts
kell said:
I was wondering if I'd be fine to keep a rabbitry in my garage. It's a large garage, but there are no windows, and only one of it's doors stays open. Would I need etter ventilation, or is it fine. I was planning on putting up hanging cages. Is it better for rabbits to be indoors or out (I live in Oregon, by the way, where it's always raining, but it doesn't get too cold or too hot)?
Thanks for your consideration,
~Kel~
Hi, does your garage have a dirt floor or concrete? Better if dirt as it will help with the odors. You will need ventilation, install a fan In a wall to draw air out of the garage through a door (walk in door or garage type door?). Hanging cages are the best way to go. You should also install florescent lights above the cages and put them on a timer giving about 12-14 hrs a day of light. Keep the temp below 85-90 and your good to go. Good luck with your endeavor. Randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rzrubek said:
Hi, does your garage have a dirt floor or concrete? endeavor. Randy
My garage has dirt floors and concrete ones so that's good. Does the fan need to be powerful. I have a little fan sort of thing that is supposed to rid the air of pollen and dust. Would that work? What is the light for?
 

·
Flying Z
Joined
·
659 Posts
kell said:
My garage has dirt floors and concrete ones so that's good. Does the fan need to be powerful. I have a little fan sort of thing that is supposed to rid the air of pollen and dust. Would that work? What is the light for?
Ideally you will be able to hang the cages over dirt and have the concrete to walk on. For ventilation you need to change the air in the garage probably about ten times an hour, i would suggest doing some research on that as i am not sure how often it needs changing. We live in AZ and have a evap cooler running most of the time. The important thing is to change the air not filter it. The light is to mimic daylight to keep the rabbits thinking it is summer and reproducing well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rzrubek said:
Ideally you will be able to hang the cages over dirt and have the concrete to walk on. For ventilation you need to change the air in the garage probably about ten times an hour, i would suggest doing some research on that as i am not sure how often it needs changing. We live in AZ and have a evap cooler running most of the time. The important thing is to change the air not filter it. The light is to mimic daylight to keep the rabbits thinking it is summer and reproducing well.
When you say 'changing the air' do you mean I just make the fan go a different direction? How will it help ventilation? I live in oregon, so It'll be much cooler here especially in the garage. Would I need a fan on all winter?
~Kel~
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top