Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the United States, it would take a long domino fall of terrible events to persuade Lynch to go underground, he said. “Personally, I think that social-civil unrest is the only thing a person should prepare for.” Unrest will lead to “pestilence, disease, famine—because the guy [who] works at the sewage treatment plant, he’s not going to work.

He [who] didn’t prepare. He’s going to be pillaging, robbing, and strong-arming people for cans of tomatoes. As absurd as it might sound, you’re not going to watch your children starve. You will kill your neighbor for a can of pork and beans to stop your kid starving. Everything could lead to a collapse of society.”

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
Between that and the Mother Earth News tornado shelter I'm beginning to think something like that might be useful.

Burt had something like that, before the shrieker got in and he blew it up. (Tremmors 3 reference) It was really nice. I'll have to watch that one again to find out where his weakness was.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Between that and the Mother Earth News tornado shelter I'm beginning to think something like that might be useful.

Burt had something like that, before the shrieker got in and he blew it up. (Tremmors 3 reference) It was really nice. I'll have to watch that one again to find out where his weakness was.
Not enough concrete and large rounds...

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Charlie, an old electrician who lost his wife a few years ago says,
"Bring em on. I've got a gun for every window." He says.
"Yeah, but Charlie, all they have to do is flank you and burn your house down."
"Then I'll take my guns and hump thru the woods to my root cellar."
"How many shoulders have you got?" I asked.
"Oh, got it. Well, I'll have backups in the hole then."
"What if they put a rag over your vent stack?" I asked.
"Mmmmm, I guess it doesn't make much sense to stay in a hole like that, then does it?"
"Well..." I replied.
"I'll hot wire the tree line and lay out some pipe bombs."

I spent my bunker money on a new refrigerator and counter top for my wife.

·
Registered
28,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'm not hoping to be a war hero, or a Sarah Conner survivalist, i'm just hoping to make looters think twice about trying another attack, after they pull their injured back to a safe distance from a failed first attempt.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I'm not hoping to be a war hero, or a Sarah Conner survivalist, i'm just hoping to make looters think twice about trying another attack, after they pull their injured back to a safe distance from a failed first attempt.
What's this injured stuff? Nobody is going to shoot to wound period! They might come back but it want be for the injured here!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Charlie, an old electrician who lost his wife a few years ago says,
"Bring em on. I've got a gun for every window." He says.
"Yeah, but Charlie, all they have to do is flank you and burn your house down."
"Then I'll take my guns and hump thru the woods to my root cellar."
"How many shoulders have you got?" I asked.
"Oh, got it. Well, I'll have backups in the hole then."
"What if they put a rag over your vent stack?" I asked.
"Mmmmm, I guess it doesn't make much sense to stay in a hole like that, then does it?"
"Well..." I replied.
"I'll hot wire the tree line and lay out some pipe bombs."

I spent my bunker money on a new refrigerator and counter top for my wife.

There was this show called Doomsday Preppers. I wish they were still taping it, because I always got a huge laugh at every single episode.

So the series finds these families who claim to be "preppers", and they assign them some bullcrap 'survival' rating. Then they have the families test their prep to poke holes all in it, and some expert makes recommendations on what they should change. I swear, 9 out of 10 of them get so mad or offended when they're told they wouldn't last nearly as long as they think they would.

One of them involved this rich dude living in some upscale house on a hill, with all this high-tech security and cameras and sniping positions. But he lives by himself. What good do you think all that stuff's going to do you when the post-apocalyptic horde shows up and just drives their Mad-Max armored car straight through your wall?

A bunker is never going to save you from anything besides tornados and zombies. The only people who are going to make it through any sort of societal collapse or 'doomsday' are the ones that quickly join a coop and contribute to their community.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
There was this show called Doomsday Preppers. I wish they were still taping it, because I always got a huge laugh at every single episode.

So the series finds these families who claim to be "preppers", and they assign them some bullcrap 'survival' rating. Then they have the families test their prep to poke holes all in it, and some expert makes recommendations on what they should change. I swear, 9 out of 10 of them get so mad or offended when they're told they wouldn't last nearly as long as they think they would.

One of them involved this rich dude living in some upscale house on a hill, with all this high-tech security and cameras and sniping positions. But he lives by himself. What good do you think all that stuff's going to do you when the post-apocalyptic horde shows up and just drives their Mad-Max armored car straight through your wall?

A bunker is never going to save you from anything besides tornados and zombies. The only people who are going to make it through any sort of societal collapse or 'doomsday' are the ones that quickly join a coop and contribute to their community.
IMHO part of that contribution to their tribe is to be able to eliminate the threat to the tribe. Defense will be at the core of survival.

·
Registered
180 Posts
IMHO part of that contribution to their tribe is to be able to eliminate the threat to the tribe. Defense will be at the core of survival.
Of course, somebody's going to have to do it.

The problem, I think, is that it feels like most of the people who are intensely interested in building things like bunkers are not actually looking to join a tribe. If they were, they'd be spending that money and energy elsewhere. They also seem to think they're going to be The Leader and making decisions.

I see tons of how-to's on projects for your own home or family, but there's next to no planning on communities.

I can kill anybody with a .22 rifle, even at distance. If we're going to talk "survival", I don't care about how vast your gun collection is and how powerful your firearms are. I'm going to follow the guy that has training, experience, the ability to teach, and the good sense to know when diplomacy is a better option.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Of course, somebody's going to have to do it.

The problem, I think, is that it feels like most of the people who are intensely interested in building things like bunkers are not actually looking to join a tribe. If they were, they'd be spending that money and energy elsewhere. They also seem to think they're going to be The Leader and making decisions.

I see tons of how-to's on projects for your own home or family, but there's next to no planning on communities.

I can kill anybody with a .22 rifle, even at distance. If we're going to talk "survival", I don't care about how vast your gun collection is and how powerful your firearms are. I'm going to follow the guy that has training, experience, the ability to teach, and the good sense to know when diplomacy is a better option.
Most will, I would. The leaders will need to have many qualities including using the best tools for each job, this includes intellect and experience's.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I think the problem is that eventually you have to come out of your bunker. Then you need to remember all of the lessons from the Walking Dead.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
These topics always end up sending me back to Lucifer's Hammer
For sure, I may just dust off my copy and read it again.

Reactions: random

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,549 Posts
What good do you think all that stuff's going to do you when the post-apocalyptic horde shows up and just drives their Mad-Max armored car straight through your wall?
A proper plan won't allow that.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
When I lived in West Africa, our every day life looked like what americans think of as the end of the world. It was pretty much like living in South Tucson, Arizona. You don't need a wall, you need a good strong fence that will be noisey to get through and a loud dog who will let you know they are out there. It won't be a huge mob, it will be two or three thieves that come in the dark to raid your garden, or steal the gas from your car.

I was three hundred clicks from the nearest town, so the last thing we wanted to do was get into a pitched battle with anybody. If you heard the fence rattle, or the dogs told you there was someone out there, you rolled out of bed and checked. A good strong light mounted on your weapon is a must for night work, I had a 12 ga pump with a light, and extra ammo in a butt cuff that I kept by the bed. I never slept in the same place two nights in a row, there were five different locations in the compound where I slept, and none of the hired help stayed inside the wire after dark.

Never open your door to anybody after dark. Never respond directly to a loud disturbance in the yard, or one of the out buildings. Take your time, and flank the source of the noise. Do not call out and challenge an intruder, locate them, watch them for a few minutes if you can, then take action if necessary. Never give away your position. Once you have them covered from a safe position, you can make them come to you, if you think it is necessary.

Have an escape plan, make sure everybody knows the plan, and practice it. When the time comes to run, run, don't hesitate, don't try to reason with them, just run.

We seldom had visitors after dark. The local Peace Core contingent showed up one night after midnight. All they could tell me was they had been scared off from their compound by loud noises and explosions in the local village. They had fled in what ever they were wearing to sleep in. Tee shirts, and under wear mostly. Only one of them had shoes. I made them wait in the guard hut outside the wire, until daylight.

Be polite, be professional, and be prepared to kill everyone you meet. Most important, try to have a good time.

·
Registered
28,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts