bumps on kids

Discussion in 'Goats' started by All country, Apr 15, 2006.

1. All country

All country Well-Known Member

We have 8 baby goats this season, 6 of them seem to be covered in little pea sized bumps. You can't see them, because of the hair, but can feel them when petting or checking them. I have never run across anything like this before. They all seem healthy, active, and are growing nicely. The other 2 kids don't have any and neither do any of the does. Are they possibly reacting to something in the pasture. The does have been on this pasture for a few years now, but we've never had any kids on it.

Have any of you ever run across or even heard of this before?

I should mention that one little doeling was in the house for her first week (in diapers) and didn't have any until we put her outside.

2. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

other goat breeders are having trouble with steph infection sounds like what you may have.

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

My Saanen has little bumps like that too - they don't ooze or get any worse, they don't seem to be itchy or scabby. :shrug: I just leave them alone. She's been in with my other goats since last October and they don't have 'em, so they don't seem to be infectious.

4. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Even if they do have a little liquid inside, don't panic and start culling for CL. I've heard of little bumps all over filled with a clearish liquid being caused by staph, allergies, and parasites. If they're not in any distress, wait a couple of weeksa and see what happens.
    One of my goats had some sort of staph infection with small bumps that didn't itch. It never went to any of the other goats, and it ran it's course in a couple of months.
    Hope the bumps are gone by selling time!
    ~Carrie C.

5. All country

All country Well-Known Member

I checked goats again today. Only the 4 youngest seem to have them now. I don't know if I was wrong about who had them before or if the other 2 have cleared up.

Is there any thing in particular I should be checking for? If so, how would I go about it? What would the treatment be if it is a staph infection?

These goats won't be for sale. If we don't keep them, we planned to butcher them this fall. Guess we will see about that later.