bumps on dog's ears

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mellba, Mar 18, 2005.

1. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

We have three dachshunds, Dooley, Dink, and Tess. Dooley is 18 months old. A couple of weeks ago I noticed bumps on the lower third of his ears. He was at the vet for a check-up and booster shots a month ago and the vet didn't mention them, so I guess they weren't there then. On one ear they are mostly under the skin. On the other ear there are a couple that look kind of crusty. All dogs have the same parents. Dooley has always had allergies--coughs/sneezes if he gets in long grass. No signs of bumps or allergies with the other dogs. They all take Interceptor flavor tabs for heartworm prevention and eat Diamond maintenance food. In the summer we use Atvantage for fleas but haven't done that since November. They don't have fleas now. They are inside dogs. Does anybody have an idea what the bumps could be? I thought I'd try home treatment before taking him to the vet.

2. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Bumps doesn't really tell us much, what size are they, are the hard or sort, etc.
    My first guess would be a hematoma. A soft fluctuating swelling containing blood usually on the inner surface of the ear. These occur when an ear is injured, violent head shaking, scratching, and bites are the usual causes. The tissues in the ear separate and blood fills the spot. Is most common in dogs with pendant ears. Small ones will sometimes dry up without intervention, if the dog doesn't scratch at them. But most of them have to be drained, and the ear taped to the head or a roll. Some of the larger ones have to be stitched.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm...doesn't really sound like hematoma to me. A hematoma will look like the ear has puffed up...kind of like potato chips will do sometimes...like it has an air bubble in it.

Sounds very much like my black lab's ears. He gets bumps on the bottoms of his ears. Sometimes they get crusty looking (well, actually most of the time). They're caused by dry skin. We rub Vaseline on his ears and face and give him Fish Oil capsules in his dog food. Clears it right up.

This could also be allergies. Rubbing some Benedryl lotion or cream on them might clear it up.

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I agree with Ravenlost. I imagine what you're seeing is kind of crusty/scabby/flaky right? We see lots of Dach. with this. It usually doesn't bother them. Especially if he has other allergies, you might try switching to a different brand (not that Diamond is bad food by any means, sometimes a dog just does better on a different brand). One of my receptionist's Dachs had this same issue when he was younger and his was bad enough that my boss was considering amputating the tips of his ears! She switched foods (and also moved at the same time, so I don't know which one had more effect) and he got better.

5. mellba

Thanks for the suggestions. GoldenMom, your reply about seeing lots of Dach's with this made me worry less. I was afraid it might be something that would spread to the other dogs. Since we just bought 50 lbs of food, I think I'll try Ravenlost's suggestion about the Vaseline and fish oil first. If that doesn't work I'll buy a different brand food next time as you suggested, GoldenMom.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Are the bumps like pustules? If you picked one and had pus in it, what color is the pus? ..black, green, yellow or something like blood?
    That could tell you something if it's like an infection.
    I remember once seeing something like this which had black pustules and it had something like staph infection. A longshot guess, really. But something to consider. (my past life was a microbiologist.... :rolleyes: ). I'm big believer in taking a steril swabbing of the pustules and cuturing them to identify the causative organism, or lack thereof.

7. mellba

I wouldn't call them pustules but the crusty stuff is sort of yellowish. It is really more crusty/scabby/flaky as GoldenMom suggests.

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I agree also that an emulsion or ointment will be a good start. At least it will go to healing the skin, regardless of cause.

What about ear mites? Have you checked for that?

9. hatwoman22

hatwoman22 Well-Known Member

I was always told thats what chiggars look like ? But I too have had labs with the same thing, and they where indoor dogs as well. And with being on Advantage wich we have used for years, I doupt chiggars would be a possibility. I remeber seeing ticks and hearing about chiggars for the first time though, my moms from MI those things dont exisist in the way they do in the south, my mum almost had a cow first time one got on the dogs. We've been strict advantage uses ever since!

10. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

11. Ravenlost

Chiggers make red itchy bumps, not crusty ones (unless you scratch them too much...LOL). It's interesting...when I was a kid here in the south chiggers were terrible and now no one gets them. My FIL and I were talking about this not to long ago and wondering if chiggers had become extinct.

12. Senior

Senior Active Member

Ticks and chiggers are alive and well in TN. Wish I could figure out a way to make them extinct.....

13. Ravenlost

Well don't send any of them down here to MS!!! Every Spring when I pick dewberries I live in fear of two things...snakes and chiggers. Have seen snakes, haven't gotten any chiggers and don't want any! ;)

Hmmm...maybe fireants eat chiggers. Want me to send you some?