Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It had been raining hard at my place for a couple of days ago and my goats and sheep had spent most of their time inside. So I thought they would not be ill for eating too much wet grass (and catching a belly cold - it was very windy which in my opinion represented a very welcome change from swampy Italian August, anyway).
But the following day one of them had severe diarrhoea - not that she looked very ill, hungry too (and did not like me putting her off her grain for the day). But she was really scouring so I gave her hay on the milkstand instead of grain and kept her in the barn to avoid her munching on wet grass. This was in the morning and the diarrhoea stopped by itself during the day. She was still a little bloated in the evening but for the rest was active and fairly normal. As I was milking her though I noticed a roundish lump on her right flank, just beyond her ribs. This thing I could get hold of with my hand and even move it around, it really protruded but the girl didn't seem disturbed by it.
It was still there this morning. Maybe it's because she has been a bit bloated and that thing is some sort of gas bubble in the intestines or some organ pushed forward by the bloated gut (talking nonsense..? :rolleyes: ). Or..?
Thank you all...

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
It could also be a lump where someone has butted her - they can get some amazingly huge ones! Keep an eye on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts