Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was cleaning Bluebell off this morning to milk and felt a lump . so i looked closer and it kinda just looks like a zit .. it comes to a head. i tried to call my "goat mentor" about it , but i had to go to work and never got a hold of her.

shes avoiding her doeling, Hazel from nursing on that side, still letting her once and a while but not as often. i feel like i still needed to milk it out so it dont get too full and hurt her.. there is no blood or anything like that. but she scoots away , and hovers her leg when im milking her , so i know its hurting her.

any idea what it could be ? should i avoid milking that side ? i been making sure to clean it really well before and after milking. im going to make sure to give my goat mentor a call tomorrow around 10am when she gets back into the house from milking her herd. but i just thought i should check with more then one person, to see what may be going on.

id take a picture , but its kinda hard to get a picture from that angle with enough light. maybe i can try tomorrow when shes up on the stand if one is needed.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,110 Posts
Possible staph infection. Get some Chlorhexadine or Betadine to treat it topically.

You have to milk or she can develop other issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possible staph infection. Get some Chlorhexadine or Betadine to treat it topically.

You have to milk or she can develop other issues.

ill see if my goat mentor has any of the Chlorhexadine or Betadine, or ask her where i could get some. i got her milked out of that side that bugging her this morning, talked calmly , reassuring her ill be done soon. i kinda figured i needed to continue milking her on that side, especially since she wont let the baby drink from it. but wanted to make sure.

·
39,110 Posts
You can get both products at a drug store. Chlorhexidine is used for cleansing skin after surgery. Ask the pharmacist.

Reactions: mzgarden

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can get both products at a drug store. Chlorhexidine is used for cleansing skin after surgery. Ask the pharmacist.
my mentor told me its probably just a zit , or irritation from the baby nursing, since its her first freshening , she told me to clean out my barn and clean the teat REALLY well , and to use olive oil on the bump to keep it moist, and soon it should well.. pop..or put drawing salve on to it, and wrap that side over night. but if it dont drain in 3 days , then i can get a disinfectant or something for it.

she says im just over reacting since its my first goat.. maybe shes right , idk . shes been raising goats for 40 years. lol

·
39,110 Posts
Did she look at it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did she look at it?

she took a look, she was a little kicky , so i have no idea if she got a GOOD look.. but i attached a photo i took just a few moments ago, the bump is seeping at the moment, she stood pretty still so i could get a clear shot.

shes not a vet. but like i said has raised goats for 40 years. and has seen many things... idk .. im still just soooo new to this that every little thing can worry me. lol

Attachments

·
39,110 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah. A good picture is worth a thousand words. Here's a link from the past that explains the WHOLE THING.

https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/threads/weeping-teats-with-pic.354050/#:~:text=Supporter&text=Weeping teats are probably a,the base of the teat.

i read the whole post you sent me and the replies , if i read correctly, just wanna make sure, its most likely happening because shes a first freshener , and it will resolve on its own. right ? i just got to make sure it stays clean. when i milked her tonight , she didnt seem like it hurt as bad as it did this morning, i think because it did pop.

·
39,110 Posts
Yes. CLEAN! It is a milk producing bubble of tissue with a tiny weeping orifice.

The ones on the LaMancha doe that I had never “popped” just oozed a bit of milk.

During one lactation, it seemed bigger. Other times, not so much.

As Emily mentioned in one comment on that thread, it seems to run in families. Keep good genetic records with notes about things like that.

Also keep notes on personality. :confused: I had one line of LaManchas that was from Emily’s doe Princess de Chocolat. Holy grumpy goats, you can still see her attitude in her descendants. o_O A daughter and granddaughter are on my neighbor’s place. They are MOODY!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. CLEAN! It is a milk producing bubble of tissue with a tiny weeping orifice.

The ones on the LaMancha doe that I had never “popped” just oozed a bit of milk.

During one lactation, it seemed bigger. Other times, not so much.

As Emily mentioned in one comment on that thread, it seems to run in families. Keep good genetic records with notes about things like that.

Also keep notes on personality. :confused: I had one line of LaManchas that was from Emily’s doe Princess de Chocolat. Holy grumpy goats, you can still see her attitude in her descendants. o_O A daughter and granddaughter are on my neighbor’s place. They are MOODY!

this morning im thinking its not the weeping teat, its not squirting milk, it oozed pus last night, and now is soft and almost gone.

personality was the biggest thing i was looking for when picking them out. bluebell is sweet and curious , always comes to greet me at the gate, even if i dont have food lol , her baby was skittish for a bit because humans never handled her since she was born, but it only took a week for her to come crawl up into my lap when im sitting in the grass out there. they are both the sweetest little goats ever.

both of them COULD have come with papers.. but honestly i told myself "i dont need papers, im not doing this for show , just milk." plus i got mama for $200 rather then $400 with papers and Hazel i got her for $150 rather then $300.. maybe i made a mistake with no papers , but i just knew i wanted to get this started. and i couldnt afford the paper that says she comes from a milking star bloodline from both sides. honestly though , even with papers that price would have been cheap , she was just selling to me , since she was trying to replace her milking group with taller goats (i forget what breed she said they where. ) and knew i didnt have much money to spend. told me to "focus more on the things for the goats, fence, food, grain , milkingstand, and so on."

i did tell her though , i was getting a about a cup of milk a day from morning and evening milking together and she just paused and said "you should be getting about 4 cups a day." sooo i have no idea if that because shes a first timer, or if im doing something wrong .. i milk her out completely. so no idea. her udder seems really full when i milk her in the morning, like if she was any more full she might just burst.

·
39,110 Posts
She could be holding back. Have you cleaned her udder by rubbing it with your wipe or warm towel? Bump like the kids do? That triggers the hormonal let down response.

She could have a dense udder that looks more filled because of her tissue type.

Is the milk stand in a serene place? I discovered the position of the milk stand has a significant effect on the goat’s happiness. My milk room was small, and I had limited options of stand location. However, I had a couple of goats who HATED looking at a wall. The stand was moved to accommodate their preference so that milking time was more pleasant.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She could be holding back. Have you cleaned her udder by rubbing it with your wipe or warm towel? Bump like the kids do? That triggers the hormonal let down response.

She could have a dense udder that looks more filled because of her tissue type.

Is the milk stand in a serene place? I discovered the position of the milk stand has a significant effect on the goat’s happiness. My milk room was small, and I had limited options of stand location. However, I had a couple of goats who HATED looking at a wall. The stand was moved to accommodate their preference so that milking time was more pleasant.

i wipe her down really good, and massage her before i start milking, when im finished milking , i bump her udder a few times and wiggle shake it , then milk again, but i know her udder is a bit thicker it just feels thick.. her baby should be a better milker, idk who bluebells dad was , but i was told Hazels dad comes from a high class star milking line..bluebells mom is quite a good milker too, thats why the lady said i should be getting more milk from her. bluebell though is a great starter goat for me , i already got the sore fingers from milking her , and i only had her for 2ish weeks now lol. gotta toughen up my hands.

their milking stand is facing her fave spot. she can see the neighbors horses, and my rabbit hutch which she loves. but she mostly focuses on her grain while milking and wants OUT as soon as shes done eating. i wanna build a small area outside on my concrete slab for the milking stand , cause at the moment , since the milking stand is IN my tiny little barn , they dont have much room in there... plus Hazel thinks its a fun little toy to climb on , and im worried shes going to break her leg getting up on the head lock piece.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts