Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We inherited a bummer lamb we have been bottle feeding. He is 6 weeks old and now eating a lot of the grass that grows in the pen where we have him. It was a pen that previously had goats. It seems like he is constantly bloated and I've been told it is probably the grass. We have never had a lamb before and it seems like everything on the internet tells you something different. My question is can I still leave him in the grass pen or does he really need to be removed so he doesn't eat that grass? Do I need to start supplementing him with something else besides the grass? Or remove the grass completely from his diet and supplement with something else? Should I still continue to bottle feed him? He also is not drinking water...and we don't know how to get him to do that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We inherited a bummer lamb we have been bottle feeding. He is 6 weeks old and now eating a lot of the grass that grows in the pen where we have him. It was a pen that previously had goats. It seems like he is constantly bloated and I've been told it is probably the grass. We have never had a lamb before and it seems like everything on the internet tells you something different. My question is can I still leave him in the grass pen or does he really need to be removed so he doesn't eat that grass? Do I need to start supplementing him with something else besides the grass? Or remove the grass completely from his diet and supplement with something else? Should I still continue to bottle feed him? He also is not drinking water...and we don't know how to get him to do that.
I'm not going to be a lot of help here, but maybe what I tell you will get someone else to also chime in and offer more information. If you're bottle feeding him, he probably doesn't need water. he's probably getting all the water he needs from the formula. I'd suggest adding lamb/goat probiotic to his formula to build up his gut biome/flora. They often get this starter flora from their mothers milk , and the lack of nursing could mean he just doesn't have the flora in his gut to help digest the grass correctly yet. You should offer him a good quality hay. not a fescue, since some fescues contain a toxin. The dry hay will help balance out his diet. 6 weeks is really young to stop the bottle feeding especially if he's having digestion /bloating issues, I'd suggest continuing until at least 8 weeks, and then start tapering it down. What type of grass is in the pen? if it's fescue that could be another source of the bloating issues, and the hay might help him. Lastly, Lambs are herd animals, is he the only one you have? they don't do well by themselves. You should try to find a home for him with other sheep if he is the only one you have, or think about getting another one to keep him company.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,767 Posts
At 6 weeks he's probably not eating enough grass to cause any problems.
If he was truly "bloated" he would be in pain and showing obvious symptoms.
Keep water available and he will drink when he gets thirsty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts