Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Third day in a row he has escaped, I think he is going under the field fence, there are no marks on the ground though. Whomever put up the field fence did not staple the bottom 3 squares.

That will be this afternoons unwelcome chore, but its only about 200 feet - shouldn't take too long, just not looking forward to it.

Have you seen cattle craw under a field fence?

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
If for some reason the fencer got unplugged or the fence grounded out mine will pop the bottom wire off the insulators and crawl out.

·
Administrator
19,228 Posts
Mitch, I had a longhorn steer that did it once and to this day, the mere though of him makes me shudder. I had a pasture alongside the Trans Canada highway so it was highly visible and longhorns in Alberta made it even higher profile. They were standing in plenty of grass but the highway department also seeds the ditches to alfalfa and several times a day, I'd get a call that the steer was out and each time, I'd race over, heart pounding with fear that someone would hit him on the highway and be injured or killed. I'd put him back in and walk the stinking fences to be sure that they were tight and nothing was down. I swear, I would have been more than happy to call the butcher and shoot him in the pasture but it's illegal to shoot near a public roadway so that was out of the question because I was sure that if I did, the nosiest neighbor in the country would report me. I finally hid after one of many laps in a day to see how on earth he was getting out and I swear, he would lay down on his side in a bit of a low spot and work his legs till he forced himself under the fence. Electricity stopped the problem but I'm not a forgiving kind of person and as soon as the cattle were moved home, he filled my freezer.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I caught him! Bullfeathers was left out this evening as I placed the feed in the trough for the remaining cows to eat, inside of the fence. He immediantly went to a place where a tiny goat would have trouble escaping.

How does a 30 inch diameter bull fit through a 12 inch pressured space - he has to be part goat.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts