Bull for sale

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by dosthouhavemilk, Mar 2, 2005.

1. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, Jason will have to go soon. He has been breeding heifers and cows since he hit nine months old (his first calf is due 6/21/05). He settled a cow who had been having troubles settling with his first service to her.
    We have quite a few animals settled to him already and would like to have at least a few of our purebred Jerseys settled to Jersey sires, so he needs to go before the milking herd leaves the barn.

Jason is 3/4 Jersey and 1/4 Norwegian Red. He was born 12/7/03. Still very tame and easy to work with. I can go up, put a halter on him, and lead him back to the pen. He has tested his limits only twice with me so far. If he is with a herd of ladies he should be fine. He is almost 15 months old though and Jersey bulls are notorious for getting mean at a young age.
    He needs good fencing. He has spent much of the last month wandering loose on our unfenced property away from the girls. :rolleyes: He has some issues with some of our older heifers because they pick on him. Especially his older half sister. So starting him out with some younger animals would be a good idea.

Jason was hand raised by myself and his head never played with. I trained him to lift his head for neck scratches to discourage him from lowering his head when he sees me. Last fall he would follow the milking herd into the barn and wait patiently to have a halter put on him and for him to be tied. He did this regardless of whether there were cows in heat or not.

Jason is identified through American Jersey Cattle Association and any heifers born to him and registered Jersey dams can be identified in the Genetic Recovery Program as OAs.

[​IMG]
    This photo was taken in early September. He is still not very tall but was able to settle one of our tallest cows at only ten months of age.

SS:ROCK MAPLE BROOK MONTANA-ET (29JE3075)
    S:WINDY WILLOW MONTANA JACE (7JE535)
    SD:WINDY WILLOW MALCOLM JAQUENETTE
    UR JEJ BOLD NR MYRHER JACE JASON
    DS: MYRHER (NORWEGIAN RED BULL)
    D: J1 JEJ BOLD BERRETTA NR MYRHER ILSE
    DD:JEJ BOLD BERRETTA LISTETH

We have his dam (4 year old on her third lactation) in the milking herd and you can view her milking records on our homepage. We also have the information from Genex on Myrher if you would like that as well.
    We also have complete records on his dam's line.
    We are very pleased with how well our crosses are doing in our herd. We are currently calving out El Tigre's progeny and are very pleased.

If you have any questions, please ask. If you would like a copy of his Performance Pedigree sent to your e-mail please contact me and I will send it to you.

We are located in SE Ohio.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

thats a good looking bull and goodness thats a big post i had to keep going back and forth

3. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

He's beautiful, Roseanna!

We just brought in an 11 mo registered Jersey to the farm now to cover our ladies.

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, I need to reformat his photo so it doesn't take up sooo much space. I plan on doing that very soon.
    Aww, thanks. He is a good looking animal and his temperament right now is great. Just wish he would stay with the heifers and dry cows!
    Really wish I had had this outlet for El Tigre (half and half) two years ago. His daughters are a dream! We have a couple milking 60 pounds a day (without Posilac) and their SCCs are close to non-existent. Udders are great. Part of that was his dam's line though. Shenekwa was from a very strong line. We lost her to the toxic mastitis that swept through ehre four years ago and he was her last calf. We have one of her daughters in the herd (didn't realize that at the time because she looks nothing like any of the animals in that line) and now half of her granddaughters. Keep hoping her granddaughter out of her son and daughter will join the herd. It would be interesting to see what Bjork could do.