Bull Calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by swollen tongue, Apr 16, 2006.

1. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

I have a bull angus calf(425 lbs.) that Needs to become a steer. Should he be banded or sugically casturated at this size??
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Too large to band.

If you haven't done it before castration isn't that difficult.

Tie the calf by the neck and waist to a board fence or stuff. I'm right handed so I put my left boot between the legs and push their left foot to the side. Having some hold tail to the side if possible. Use a single-edge razor blade if you have one. Push testicle to bottom of sac and slice through sac, trying not to cut into the testicle itself. Testicle should pop out. Securely grab and pull hard to break the cord inside. Pull will seal the end at the break. Now do other. You might then spray on some purple fly spray if you have it.

Some calves are obviously a bit sore for a couple of days and some act like nothing happened. Except a little bleeding. If still with the cow they sometimes lick the calf clean.

3. saraohio

saraohio Well-Known Member

Can they still be just pulled out at this size? We once did a larger boar, different of course, but couldn't get the cords to break by pulling and had to scrape them with a knife to get it done. Caused a little more bleeding but otherwise no problem.

4. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

Just talked to the vet clinic and they said they band them all the time at this size and larger using a special banding gun! ($35 fee) I did not know this. I once did a 550 Lbs. bull calf and I scraped the cords through, and then crimped them with a pair of pliers. Sprayed them with the purple stuff. He did fine, but it was one heck of a rodeo since I did not have the proper equipment to restrain him except a rope.(hog tied him down)
    thanks for the info.

5. Faith Farm

Faith Farm Well-Known Member

I borrowed a friends bander to use on two bull calves in a head gate
    last week. Quick and easy. Gave them a shot of Tetanus Antitoxic
    costing only $6.00 for band and shot. By next week I expect the testis
    to fall off with no side affects and minimum discomfort. Put a board
    across the back legs to keep the calf from kicking.

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

You can band them at that size, it is an adjustable bander. What you want them to do is give a shot for tetinus, then they sedate a little bit, band them while they are still standing. We did this to a bull calf, worked well.

Jeff