Bull Calf-Safe with Heifers?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by BJ, Sep 6, 2004.

1. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

We have purchased a spring bull calf to raise to breed to our cows next year. How long can we keep him in the same pasture with the young heifers and cows without worry of them being bred by him? Is it best to just separate him from the start? Then the question is...will we really be able to keep him in an adjoining pasture with all those girls so close?

2. A "text book" suggests that bulls can breed as young as 8 month. (Not sure about which breed they were refering to) ...

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I've kept bulls next to the cows. Sometimes it's successful, sometimes not. It depends on the bull and his attitude and libido. Make your pen as secure as you can. Hot wires, very hot wires are definitely needed. I'd put him in there before he gets all...um...."interested" so he gets used to those wires (and his living situation) before his other brain takes over.

Don't forget that your bull pen needs to be secure both ways. Those girls will be trying to get in, just as much as he's trying to get out.

Jena

4. bdfarmer

bdfarmer Member

You got that right. I got a cow who has gone through rails, wire, forest and stone wall to get to a bull. And those bulls are on a ranch a fur piece off. Took me a couple of days to find her over there the first time. Last time she found her way back before I even new she was gone, brought her beau back with her too!

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Once heard the story of a family milk cow who would be walked a couple of miles down the road for bull service. Got to the point when she was in heat she would bellow at the gate. They would open it and let her go on her own. The other farm would open the gate to the bull when she got there. They had the benefit of milking her while there. Once settled, she would tell them she wanted out and came back home on her own.

Ken Scharabok