Bulkhead fitting?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dalilies, May 2, 2005.

1. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

I talked to my expert (hubby) about the 5 gal bucket. He has never heard of a bulkhead fitting. If I go to TSC, Ace, Lowes, or Menards, would they carry it? If so, in what section should I look? I have given up on hoping that someone that works there would know what I mean. I've had too many bad experiences with trying to find someone in a store that knows about unusually requests.

Thanks
    Jennifer

2. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

a bulkhead fitting is one that you can fit into a plastic tank or bucket. You drill the appropriate size hole in the tank then put the fitting in from the inside of the tank or bucket. It has a flange and a gasket on the inside. The outside of the fitting is threaded. When tighten the nut on the outside of the fitting it draws the flange and gasket up to the inside of the tank or bucket. I think they would have this type of thing at a better hardware store but not sure about Home Depot specifically

3. royB

royB Active Member

4. dalilies

Thanks for the great description. I think I know what I am looking for. I'll check Tractor Supply next time I'm there.

Jennifer

5. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

They are also known as tank adapters. The radius on a 5 gallon bucket might be too much for a 1/2 inch tank adapter to conform to the radius of the bucket. No problem if you put it in the bottom of the bucket. A irrigation supply or farm supply store might be a better bet...only on the rarest of occasions do you find one in the stores mentioned. Use the phone it'll save you some trouble and time.

6. Allan Mistler

Allan Mistler Just a simple man

I'm not sure if you're talking about the pig waterer mentioned in the December issue of Countryside magazine, but it sure sounds it since I decided to build one as an integral part of the new pig shelter just Saturday morning. The shelter consists of three strong pallets mounted vertically to provide 3 walls, and a fourth pallet on the top with a covering of pressure treated plywood to act as the roof. I'll be driving a couple steel pipes down inside the pallets to make certain that nothing moves once the pigs start rooting. The article on a power free waterer struck me as useful since I had to hand carry water to the pigs every morning and evening last year in 6 gallon buckets... no fun! This year I'm going to place the 55 gallon barrel on the roof of their shelter and let a small solar powered pump slowly keep the barrel full from a nearby well hole (yet to be dug).
    I just picked up all the hardware today at the local Trustworthy Hardware store. The bulkhead flange and 1/2" pipe to hose adaptors along with the pig watering nipple and a 1/2" elbow all for about $15. Got a 55 gallon food grade plastic barrel at the grain store Saturday for $11.50.
    I drilled a 1 3/16" hole in a 1/4" steel plate (scrap about 8" square) and welded the elbow into the hole... screwed the nipple into the front, a hose adapter into the back and ran a washing machine water hose up to the flange and adapter mounted in the 55 gal drum. After bolting that piece of 1/4" plate onto the outside surface of one wall of the shelter at about 20" up off the ground, and filling the 55 gal drum sitting on the roof of the shelter, no pig will be able to move that shelter and water supply!
    I'm looking forward - for the first time in a long time - to the arrival of the piglets! Actually this is probably the first year in my last twenty that I was ahead of the game!!

7. dalilies

Oopps! :eek: As soon as I said bulkhead fitting, hubby knew right what it was. Guess I had called it a Bush Hog fitting or something like that before. After 6 yrs, he should have know what I meant! :rolleyes:

Jennifer

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If the fitting leaks when installed into the bucket, make an additional gasket out of a large size inner tube patch, the kind you would find at an auto parts store.