Bulk seed source

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CraftyDiva, May 9, 2005.

1. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Anyone have a good source for bulk sprouting seeds. I love to add radish sprouts to a salade or on a sandwhich, but the health food store charges an arm and leg for the sprouts. I'd like to try sprouting my own. TIA

2. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

R H Shumway's sells bulk quantities of vegetable seeds to the public.

I order mung beans directly from the area they are grown: the Red River Valley in Oklahoma. I contacted a mung bean co-op down there that sells 50# bags of beans for $15 or so. They were happy to ship it up to me.

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

4. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Thanks for the replies......... :)

Would you believe R H Shumway's doesn't have radish seeds? Anyway I was looking for sprouting seeds (no chemical coatings).

Thanks Bare, just what I was looking for. :cool:

5. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

6. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

7. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, Rupp Seeds has radishes for $3.65 a lb. Not sure if they are treated. Guess you would have to ask. I'm thinking maybe I would try some broccoli sprouts as they are so good for you! Rita in TN

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

You might try Territorial Seed Company. They're primarily organic, and I know they sell in larger quantities. Not cheap, though.

9. bare

bare Head Muderator

A couple months ago I bought the sprouter kit from Azure Standard and I really like it. I can make up to six different types of sprouts at one time, although I usually only make their sprout mix which has alfalfa, radish, clover and cabbage. Each of the three sprouters make about a quart of sprouts.

I used to make my sprouts in canning jars but would lose some to spoilage. Haven't had that happen with my new sprouter.