Homesteading Forum banner

Bulk Rice and Beans

4K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  muleskinner2 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Looking to buy bulk 50lb bags+ in New York but drawing blanks. I'm trying to avoid buying online but don't know what to do. Ideas?

#7 ·
There is a very large Hispanic grocery near me and they sell several varieties of fifty-pound bags of dried beans. Check Hispanic stores near you.

Reactions: thesedays and Hiro
#9 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Looking to buy bulk 50lb bags+ in New York but drawing blanks. I'm trying to avoid buying online but don't know what to do. Ideas?
I am not sure why you are reluctant to purchase online, however, this is a fantastic resource.

WebstaurantStore: Restaurant Supplies & Foodservice Equipment

As with most places shipping is a killer, but webrestaurant has a "plus" option that saves a fortune on shipping costs. They have a free 30 day trial, which I used and bought quite a few supplies with. After 30 days the plus goes to like $99 per month, but you can cancel after your 30 day trial. They offer 15 different beans and a mixed bean soup mix, all for around $1 per pound in 20 pound increments.

They have beaucoup other stuff too. Just cruise the site. You could lay in quite a stockpile as their base prices are very reasonable.

Here is a method for storing loose dry beans in five gallon buckets:

Dry Ice Treatment for Dry Beans

Dry ice is the preferred method for treatment when storing in a 5-gallon plastic bucket. Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide (CO2), and is available in many grocery stores. It is heavier than air and displaces oxygen.

Use 1 ounce of dry ice per gallon or 2-3 ounces in a 5-gallon bucket. Wipe ice crystals from the dry ice and wrap it in a paper towel (to prevent it from burning the food it comes in contact with).

Add 3-4 inches of beans to the bucket and place the wrapped dry ice on top of it. Then finish filling the bucket with beans, and place the lid LOOSELY on to allow the air to escape.

The dry ice will slowly sublimate (change from solid to a gas), and the CO2 will displace the lighter air (containing the oxygen) pushing it out of the top of the bucket. This usually takes 30 to 60 minutes but may take up to a couple of hours depending on the amount of dry ice used and the room temperature.

Do not seal the bucket until the dry ice has completely sublimated. Monitor the bucket after sealing for a few minutes to ensure the lid does not bulge. If it does, open and release the pressure. The lid being pulled down slightly is an indication that a partial vacuum has been created by the carbon dioxide being absorbed into the beans.

Dry Bean Food Storage Myth – Actual Shelf-Life Revealed | The Provident Prepper.

#13 ·
there are a lot of varieties of rice , check out an Asian grocery lots of different types, we tried several and the wife prefers Riceland ex long white. she likes a fluffy rice.

CaliRose was also good.

rice prices went up with covid several of the 40 or 50 pound bags are getting close to a buck a pound.

the 20 pound bags of Riceland we are paying 8.49 a little under 50 cents a pound currently.

5 1/2 minutes under pressure in the pressure cooker and release the pressure and it is done to perfection

we eat most of our rice with stir fried vegetables other rice types may be better for with beans.

store what you eat , eat what you store.
having 100 pounds of rice you don't care for because it was the lowest price is a lot food you won't enjoy. an enjoyable rice at a good price that you want to eat is preferable.

#17 ·
Prometheus, I recommend brown rice because it has the protein and can keep you alive all on its own. To that end, I recommend finding the oriental supply store in your town where the chinese restauraunts get their stuff. I haven't seen fifty pound sacks, but twenty pound sacks are only a little over a dollar a pound.

#18 ·
Also, Thomas Sheridan gave good advice in a talk he gave last night. Make hard tack biscuits (flour, water, salt). Should keep for only about two hundred years! :p

#19 ·
Brown rice is not good for long term storage. It will definitely sour. (Yes, personal stupid experience.) That being said, we do buy bulk brown rice and freeze it. We keep some out in glass jars with lids. White rice on the other hand is practically eternal. Storage = milar bags, oxygen and moisture absorbers and 5 gallon food grade buckets. It will keep almost forever and no mice. However, if you open the bag, then you must either reseal or place in jars with lids. As for beans and such....Amish type stores can order them in bulk and have for us. Anyplace that carries Dutch Valley Foods should be able to get it for you. There is a produce stand in Southern Virginia that beats Sams and the Restaurant store prices, but that is definitely too far for you to come. I have not seen kidney beans in 50 pound bags in a long time locally.

#20 ·
For storage in smaller amounts use Pete bottles and oxygen absorbers. Juice bottles, large mouthwash bottles, etc

#21 ·
--got to thinking about this--- from the prepping standpoint, forget the rice and go with potatoes....Anybody can grow potatoes. They're like weeds. Rice is grown with a little more difficulty on a homestead.

White rice is little more than sugar. Brown rice has a little more vits & mins, but not much. It has 10% RDA of protein....Potatoes are loaded with vits & mins and have 15% RDA of protein...

Anybody can grow potatoes. They're ;like weeds. Growing rice is difficult for most homesteaders. Potatoes are easy to store.

Rice, white, glutinous, cooked Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)
Rice, brown, long-grain, cooked Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)
Potato, flesh and skin, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)

#22 ·
--got to thinking about this--- from the prepping standpoint, forget the rice and go with potatoes....Anybody can grow potatoes. They're like weeds. Rice is grown with a little more difficulty on a homestead.

White rice is little more than sugar. Brown rice has a little more vits & mins, but not much. It has 10% RDA of protein....Potatoes are loaded with vits & mins and have 15% RDA of protein...

Anybody can grow potatoes. They're ;like weeds. Growing rice is difficult for most homesteaders. Potatoes are easy to store.

Rice, white, glutinous, cooked Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)
Rice, brown, long-grain, cooked Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)
Potato, flesh and skin, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)
Potatoes can be problematic as well.

#24 ·
I tried planting potato’s last year and it went bust , I had a few buckets of potato’s .
Rice is a good thing to have around its cheep you can get a pallet for thin money and it keeps for ever , it’s money in the bank .👍
But it's nothing more than sugar. minimal vits, mins or protein.

If you were to eat potatoes daily, one plant would supply one person for only 3-5 days, so you'd need to plant on the order of 100 plants...Buckets on the balcony won't do it, but if you're living in an apt, you won't survive a long term SHTF situation there anyway. ....As far as cost, $20 will get you started and then you'll have plants forever.

If we're talking about personal taste, we can't argue...If we're talking about nutritional & economic efficiency for survivalist purposes, forget the rice.

We haven't mentioned the BEANS-- easily the BEST vegetable source of nutrition-- 1 cu supplies you with 85% of the RDA of protein, and over 100% of Thiamine & Folate-- two of the most difficult vits to get otherwise. Beans, black, mature seeds, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)

#25 ·
Hey doc , I like potato’s allso but I can’t jam them in a small space in my Bacement
When every one is hungry (now )
rice will do the trick .
I tryed potato’s last year but I think I started too late .
The seed potato’s I bought had no eyes when they came so I planted half .
And I save half for a later planting I had lots of eyes but they dident get planted till the end of may.
I’m going to have to work on the growing thing .
I can get some grass to grow , but that’s about it .
I was a boy in Norway and we planted potato’s 3 times a year but it’s cool there so the potato’sdid better thru the summer
We had other crops but at9 years old I was in charge of digging a bucket of potato’s
Every day by 300 so my ant could get them on the table by 500 for dinner
I’ll tell you what , it was a fair amount of work filling a bucket with small golf ball size potato’s god forbid my uncle checked the beds and I was leaving potato’s behind , or I was bruising the potatoes with my little three prong rake

#27 ·
Hey doc , I like potato’s allso but I can’t jam them in a small space in my Bacement
My yield from 250+ potato plants (~300lb) is kept in a 3x2x2ft bin in the garage.

Grow potatoes in a trashcan. Just add dirt as the plant grows. Harvest will be dead easy. And stock rice. That's the answer for starch, as far as my mind can figure. If you have dependents, you're just further up **** creek, that is all.
a) one or two plants in a trash can will get you less than 10 servings of potatoes-- hardly worth it. That same garbage can would hold 50 lb of rice ( 50 yrs worth for me).

b) Rice will give you ONLY starch. Potatoes are quite rich in vits & mins as well as starch.

BTW-- it's not a matter of rice OR potatoes. No reason you can't do both.

#26 ·
Grow potatoes in a trashcan. Just add dirt as the plant grows. Harvest will be dead easy. And stock rice. That's the answer for starch, as far as my mind can figure. If you have dependents, you're just further up **** creek, that is all.

#29 ·
I plant 'em 12" apart in rows 44" apart so I can run the tractor down the rows to hill them twice. The plot is 100' x 30'. The hiller is just two disks on a bar. For planting, I use a middle buster to dig the trench and adjust the spacing on the hiller to bury 'em....I may run a row of beans down the middle between rows after the hilling.

After seeing that organic potatoes sell for $4-8 per lb (!!??), I planted 500 seeds last week, hoping to sell a couple hundred lb @ a buck or two a lb. That'll at least pay for the equipment.

#31 ·
Nice, my soil is not good at my place . It’s mostly round river rock fill around the house .
I just bought 15 acres along my Mountain ridge I have a usable piece of land 700 x 250’
Wide .
‘there are alot of trees that need to get cut and then the place needs to be stumped .
The soil on top is more like moss and vine for about 10” deep then rich black dirt .
There is blue stone chips 2/3” buy 3/8 thick every where maybe mixed 20% , it’s hard to get the cleaned out . They slip thru my rake . maybe a rock hound would work ?
Do you think I could just disk the ground and let it sit for a few years ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.