Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
--got to thinking about this--- from the prepping standpoint, forget the rice and go with potatoes....Anybody can grow potatoes. They're like weeds. Rice is grown with a little more difficulty on a homestead.

White rice is little more than sugar. Brown rice has a little more vits & mins, but not much. It has 10% RDA of protein....Potatoes are loaded with vits & mins and have 15% RDA of protein...

Anybody can grow potatoes. They're ;like weeds. Growing rice is difficult for most homesteaders. Potatoes are easy to store.

Rice, white, glutinous, cooked Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)
Rice, brown, long-grain, cooked Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)
Potato, flesh and skin, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)

·
Premium Member
41,397 Posts
--got to thinking about this--- from the prepping standpoint, forget the rice and go with potatoes....Anybody can grow potatoes. They're like weeds. Rice is grown with a little more difficulty on a homestead.

White rice is little more than sugar. Brown rice has a little more vits & mins, but not much. It has 10% RDA of protein....Potatoes are loaded with vits & mins and have 15% RDA of protein...

Anybody can grow potatoes. They're ;like weeds. Growing rice is difficult for most homesteaders. Potatoes are easy to store.

Rice, white, glutinous, cooked Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)
Rice, brown, long-grain, cooked Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)
Potato, flesh and skin, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)
Potatoes can be problematic as well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I tried planting potato’s last year and it went bust , I had a few buckets of potato’s .
Rice is a good thing to have around its cheep you can get a pallet for thin money and it keeps for ever , it’s money in the bank .👍

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I tried planting potato’s last year and it went bust , I had a few buckets of potato’s .
Rice is a good thing to have around its cheep you can get a pallet for thin money and it keeps for ever , it’s money in the bank .👍
But it's nothing more than sugar. minimal vits, mins or protein.

If you were to eat potatoes daily, one plant would supply one person for only 3-5 days, so you'd need to plant on the order of 100 plants...Buckets on the balcony won't do it, but if you're living in an apt, you won't survive a long term SHTF situation there anyway. ....As far as cost, $20 will get you started and then you'll have plants forever.

If we're talking about personal taste, we can't argue...If we're talking about nutritional & economic efficiency for survivalist purposes, forget the rice.

We haven't mentioned the BEANS-- easily the BEST vegetable source of nutrition-- 1 cu supplies you with 85% of the RDA of protein, and over 100% of Thiamine & Folate-- two of the most difficult vits to get otherwise. Beans, black, mature seeds, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey doc , I like potato’s allso but I can’t jam them in a small space in my Bacement
When every one is hungry (now )
rice will do the trick .
I tryed potato’s last year but I think I started too late .
The seed potato’s I bought had no eyes when they came so I planted half .
And I save half for a later planting I had lots of eyes but they dident get planted till the end of may.
I’m going to have to work on the growing thing .
I can get some grass to grow , but that’s about it .
I was a boy in Norway and we planted potato’s 3 times a year but it’s cool there so the potato’sdid better thru the summer
We had other crops but at9 years old I was in charge of digging a bucket of potato’s
Every day by 300 so my ant could get them on the table by 500 for dinner
I’ll tell you what , it was a fair amount of work filling a bucket with small golf ball size potato’s god forbid my uncle checked the beds and I was leaving potato’s behind , or I was bruising the potatoes with my little three prong rake

·
Registered
103 Posts
Grow potatoes in a trashcan. Just add dirt as the plant grows. Harvest will be dead easy. And stock rice. That's the answer for starch, as far as my mind can figure. If you have dependents, you're just further up **** creek, that is all.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Hey doc , I like potato’s allso but I can’t jam them in a small space in my Bacement
My yield from 250+ potato plants (~300lb) is kept in a 3x2x2ft bin in the garage.

Grow potatoes in a trashcan. Just add dirt as the plant grows. Harvest will be dead easy. And stock rice. That's the answer for starch, as far as my mind can figure. If you have dependents, you're just further up **** creek, that is all.
a) one or two plants in a trash can will get you less than 10 servings of potatoes-- hardly worth it. That same garbage can would hold 50 lb of rice ( 50 yrs worth for me).

b) Rice will give you ONLY starch. Potatoes are quite rich in vits & mins as well as starch.

BTW-- it's not a matter of rice OR potatoes. No reason you can't do both.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My yield from 250+ potato plants (~300lb) is kept in a 3x2x2ft bin in the garage.
That’s a nice load of taters , but we eat a 5 lb bag in one night some times more , so 60 days worth I would need at least double that .
‘how big a plot do you have for taters ?
We had 100x50 plots out side the back door , Cabich was next to it .
I haven back there in 45 years

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I plant 'em 12" apart in rows 44" apart so I can run the tractor down the rows to hill them twice. The plot is 100' x 30'. The hiller is just two disks on a bar. For planting, I use a middle buster to dig the trench and adjust the spacing on the hiller to bury 'em....I may run a row of beans down the middle between rows after the hilling.

After seeing that organic potatoes sell for $4-8 per lb (!!??), I planted 500 seeds last week, hoping to sell a couple hundred lb @ a buck or two a lb. That'll at least pay for the equipment.

·
Premium Member
41,397 Posts
I plant 'em 12" apart in rows 44" apart so I can run the tractor down the rows to hill them twice. The plot is 100' x 30'. The hiller is just two disks on a bar. For planting, I use a middle buster to dig the trench and adjust the spacing on the hiller to bury 'em....I may run a row of beans down the middle between rows after the hilling.

After seeing that organic potatoes sell for $4-8 per lb (!!??), I planted 500 seeds last week, hoping to sell a couple hundred lb @ a buck or two a lb. That'll at least pay for the equipment.
I plant mine about eight inches apart, in rows 36” apart. Back in the day I planted 2,500 lbs of seed per year, about one and half acres.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nice, my soil is not good at my place . It’s mostly round river rock fill around the house .
I just bought 15 acres along my Mountain ridge I have a usable piece of land 700 x 250’
Wide .
‘there are alot of trees that need to get cut and then the place needs to be stumped .
The soil on top is more like moss and vine for about 10” deep then rich black dirt .
There is blue stone chips 2/3” buy 3/8 thick every where maybe mixed 20% , it’s hard to get the cleaned out . They slip thru my rake . maybe a rock hound would work ?
Do you think I could just disk the ground and let it sit for a few years ?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
What you gotta do is singlehandedly capture 250 of the Kaiser's troops and then the appreciative townsfolk will buy you a good piece of bottom land... It worked for Sgt. York, anyways.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
They can both be found on Amazon, and the shipping is free.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts