Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Looking to buy bulk 50lb bags+ in New York but drawing blanks. I'm trying to avoid buying online but don't know what to do. Ideas?

·
Premium Member
25,849 Posts
The biggest bulk bags I know of are what Sam's Club carries. Not 50 lb but they have big bags of rice. They do not have big bags of beans.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The biggest bulk bags I know of are what Sam's Club carries. Not 50 lb but they have big bags of rice. They do not have big bags of beans.
The big bags of rice at Sams and Costco are generally 20-25 pounds. If just looking for pinto beans, walmart usually sells 10 pound bags of their great value brand.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I have to wonder if the small financial advantage of buying 50 lb bags vs 20-25 lb-ers is worth the PITA of dealing with it once it's opened?...Any storage problems of larger vs smaller bags? A 25 ll bag can go on a shelf. A 50 lb bag probably can only go on the floor.

·
Saltine American
6,681 Posts
There is a very large Hispanic grocery near me and they sell several varieties of fifty-pound bags of dried beans. Check Hispanic stores near you.

Reactions: thesedays and Hiro

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hi all,
Looking to buy bulk 50lb bags+ in New York but drawing blanks. I'm trying to avoid buying online but don't know what to do. Ideas?
I am not sure why you are reluctant to purchase online, however, this is a fantastic resource.

WebstaurantStore: Restaurant Supplies & Foodservice Equipment

As with most places shipping is a killer, but webrestaurant has a "plus" option that saves a fortune on shipping costs. They have a free 30 day trial, which I used and bought quite a few supplies with. After 30 days the plus goes to like $99 per month, but you can cancel after your 30 day trial. They offer 15 different beans and a mixed bean soup mix, all for around $1 per pound in 20 pound increments.

They have beaucoup other stuff too. Just cruise the site. You could lay in quite a stockpile as their base prices are very reasonable.

Here is a method for storing loose dry beans in five gallon buckets:

Dry Ice Treatment for Dry Beans

Dry ice is the preferred method for treatment when storing in a 5-gallon plastic bucket. Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide (CO2), and is available in many grocery stores. It is heavier than air and displaces oxygen.

Use 1 ounce of dry ice per gallon or 2-3 ounces in a 5-gallon bucket. Wipe ice crystals from the dry ice and wrap it in a paper towel (to prevent it from burning the food it comes in contact with).

Add 3-4 inches of beans to the bucket and place the wrapped dry ice on top of it. Then finish filling the bucket with beans, and place the lid LOOSELY on to allow the air to escape.

The dry ice will slowly sublimate (change from solid to a gas), and the CO2 will displace the lighter air (containing the oxygen) pushing it out of the top of the bucket. This usually takes 30 to 60 minutes but may take up to a couple of hours depending on the amount of dry ice used and the room temperature.

Do not seal the bucket until the dry ice has completely sublimated. Monitor the bucket after sealing for a few minutes to ensure the lid does not bulge. If it does, open and release the pressure. The lid being pulled down slightly is an indication that a partial vacuum has been created by the carbon dioxide being absorbed into the beans.

Dry Bean Food Storage Myth – Actual Shelf-Life Revealed | The Provident Prepper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Actually found 50lb bags of rice at Sam's Club this morning. Will continue onward towards beans. I was trying to avoid big box etc.

·
Super Moderator
9,544 Posts
there are a lot of varieties of rice , check out an Asian grocery lots of different types, we tried several and the wife prefers Riceland ex long white. she likes a fluffy rice.

CaliRose was also good.

rice prices went up with covid several of the 40 or 50 pound bags are getting close to a buck a pound.

the 20 pound bags of Riceland we are paying 8.49 a little under 50 cents a pound currently.

5 1/2 minutes under pressure in the pressure cooker and release the pressure and it is done to perfection

we eat most of our rice with stir fried vegetables other rice types may be better for with beans.

store what you eat , eat what you store.
having 100 pounds of rice you don't care for because it was the lowest price is a lot food you won't enjoy. an enjoyable rice at a good price that you want to eat is preferable.

·
Premium Member
6,738 Posts
New York is a long ways from where I am but surely there are restaurant supply stores. They will have 50 pound bags of rice and beans.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Prometheus, I recommend brown rice because it has the protein and can keep you alive all on its own. To that end, I recommend finding the oriental supply store in your town where the chinese restauraunts get their stuff. I haven't seen fifty pound sacks, but twenty pound sacks are only a little over a dollar a pound.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Also, Thomas Sheridan gave good advice in a talk he gave last night. Make hard tack biscuits (flour, water, salt). Should keep for only about two hundred years! :p

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Brown rice is not good for long term storage. It will definitely sour. (Yes, personal stupid experience.) That being said, we do buy bulk brown rice and freeze it. We keep some out in glass jars with lids. White rice on the other hand is practically eternal. Storage = milar bags, oxygen and moisture absorbers and 5 gallon food grade buckets. It will keep almost forever and no mice. However, if you open the bag, then you must either reseal or place in jars with lids. As for beans and such....Amish type stores can order them in bulk and have for us. Anyplace that carries Dutch Valley Foods should be able to get it for you. There is a produce stand in Southern Virginia that beats Sams and the Restaurant store prices, but that is definitely too far for you to come. I have not seen kidney beans in 50 pound bags in a long time locally.

·
Saltine American
6,681 Posts
For storage in smaller amounts use Pete bottles and oxygen absorbers. Juice bottles, large mouthwash bottles, etc

1 - 20 of 34 Posts