Bulk Food

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by claytonpiano, Sep 19, 2005.

1. claytonpiano

claytonpiano Well-Known Member Supporter

Help!!! :mad: I was about to order bulk food from Walton feed. I've ordered from them before and love their service, however, today I was told that my order would cost $700 to ship. Several of us are ordering together and the order is around 1200 pounds. We live in North Carolina. To say the least, we can't afford the shipping costs. Can anyone direct me to an equally good site that will be closer to us and hopefully less for shipping? I'm ordering wheat berries, oats, popcorn, yeast, etc.

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Wouldn't you be better off calling the nearest natural foods store, and ordering from them? The store I buy from gives deep discounts on bulk wheat, etc. My place will even deliver to my place of employment (same town) for free. Why pay shipping?

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

I order from www.bulkfoods.com

UPS ground is $4.95 (no shipping charge, they charge handling fee only if it ships by UPS ground) regardless of shipment size.

Just got my 50 lbs of TVP this week.

I've ordered from them about a dozend times, and always have had fast service.

Lynda

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, what an awesome website! Thanks, Lynda!

5. claytonpiano

Actually, I did call my local natural foods store and their prices are extremely high. I was shocked. I've used them before, but they will only order oats and wheat. New management!

I'll try bulk foods. Thanks for the tip.

6. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Frontier has free shipping on orders over $250. I heard about them on this forum but haven't placed an order yet.

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Was that price shipped UPS? If you have a big enough order you can frequently get cheaper shipping by specifying truck shipping.

8. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I just this last weekend placed my first order with bulkfoods.com and with Walton. I am getting *free* shipping (4.95 charge) from bulkfoods and am still waiting to be contacted from Walton to let me know the shipping fees there. If it is too high I may just cancel the order! I really liked what I saw on bulkfoods, just wanted to compare the two places. Any others out there? I like being able to order online, hate the phone order stuff, it never gets done. lol!

9. mamajohnson

is this place online??

10. mamajohnson

11. mamajohnson

Ever thought about renting a van/large truck and driving up and getting it? Maybe if you could get unlimited miles it would be cheaper.?

12. elle_mental

elle_mental New Member

I have used Dutch Valley Foods in Pennsylvania www.dutchvalleyfoods.com
    I haven't dealt with them in awhile so things may have changed, but they used to ship either UPS or by trucking company that services the east coast. It was at the time about 11 cents a mile to be shipped by common courier. If you have a business, they will ship with their truck at about 4 cents a mile. Those prices are probably not valid today with the gas prices so high... The company is great to work with and their prices are very good.

Also , I live in N.C. and for grains and flour I drive to Lindley Mills in Graham N.C. they have good prices and grind the flour on site so it is very fresh. They carry organic and conventional grains and flours.

13. claytonpiano

Thanks elle. I had no idea about the mill in Graham and will check that out. Hubby is on his way to a meeting in Wilson today and passes another mill. DUH!! I can't believe I haven't thought of asking there. The Frontier web site looks great and I have ordered from Bulk Foods for nuts before. I'll do some more exploring. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

By the way my local store is charging $36 for a 50 pound bag of red wheat berries. CHOKE!!!

14. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the info.
    tnborn

15. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Good links folks. Can never have enough places for discount food!

Colleen in WI - can you give a store name or website so we can check out that Mennonite store? Those do sound like good prices.

Anyone else have some food links to share?

Thanks much to all.

16. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

http://www.azurestandard.com/ is primarily a west coast thing, but they're prices are really good (for this neck of the woods) and shipping is free if your food order totals over $400. We combine our order with a couple of neighbors to get the free shipping.

17. mamajohnson

Well, I called Walton Feed today to check on my order, had to do a bit of talking to get them to check on the order :mad: It seems shipping on my 127$ order was 86$... bit steep. and the kicker is..... they are not shipping orders for 3 to 4 weeks. Sorry folks, my kids wont wait that long for groceries! geez! So, I did some cancellation and ordered with bulkfoods.com again, they have already shipped the order I placed on Saturday, so I think I will just stick with them...

elle... thnx for the link I am checking that out too!

18. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I found a store in Dubuque IA that will order bulk for me. And it's organic, which is important to me. It's only 20 miles to drive and pick it up (and of course I combine other errands to save on gas). If anyone is near enough to drive, I can scrounge up the address.

19. Colleen in WI

Colleen in WI Well-Known Member

Sure! The store is in Rhinelander WI. It is called the Golden Harvest. It is just a tiny little place. I don't know of a website though. I can look up the phone number if you want it. Just pm me. There is also another store in Gleason WI called Prairie Pines Country Store. Same type of store run by a different family. Every time I take Mom to the Golden Harvest she is amazed by what I get for the money--it's my favorite store. :)

20. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

I was VERY disappointed in my order from Bulkfoods.com. ONLY time y'all have ever steered me wrong in anything! They took 6 weeks to ship, I don't think I would have gotten it THEN if I hadn't emailed them several times and ASKED. The products were NOT packaged as shown on the website. My garlic salt was pretty much just dumped in a THIN plastic bag that didn't even appear to be food service quality and they didn't even bother to double tape the box which was busted open when it got here.
    Definitely will NEVER order from them again!
    Anne